GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black/white rear emblem

zync

Ready to race!
First, I am aware that there are a number of friends on this, but I can't seem to find a DIY to do what I'd like to do. Plasti-dip the VW of my rear emblem and have a color coated (candy white) in the background.

I have no idea what I am doing, as it may seem to be a simple job to others. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Easiest way is to buy the insert sticker for the emblem.
If you want to paint it for sure, clean the area.

Mask off around the region you are going to paint. You do not want to be painting your cars paint job. Newspaper and painters tape should work well here. I believe the hatch area being painted is a dark color, so you will want some primer.
After primer, you will just need a few coats of color to get it all even. Don't over spray areas or it will not look right. Better to use multiple coats than one large one. Finally, cap with some clear coat layers to seal the color.
You can buy the color matched paint sets online. Automotive touch up paint. They have the color codes

Sent from phone Tapa

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I painted mine and then installed a gloss black VW emblem.

Where are you located in California? I'm selling my car soon, so I'd be willing to sell mine and swap in your stock piece if you're interested.

If not, just get some primer, paint, and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com. Make sure to sand the piece with several grits before painting. Once the clear is dried, install the black emblem and you're good to go.

I would avoid using plastidip. I dipped mine at first and it looked okay, but installing an actual black emblem is the better way to go.

zync

Ready to race!
Easiest way is to buy the insert sticker for the emblem.
If you want to paint it for sure, clean the area.

Mask off around the region you are going to paint. You do not want to be painting your cars paint job. Newspaper and painters tape should work well here. I believe the hatch area being painted is a dark color, so you will want some primer.
After primer, you will just need a few coats of color to get it all even. Don't over spray areas or it will not look right. Better to use multiple coats than one large one. Finally, cap with some clear coat layers to seal the color.
You can buy the color matched paint sets online. Automotive touch up paint. They have the color codes

Sent from phone Tapa

What would be cheaper? I am not sure where I would purchase the emblem. But I'd feel more of a "man" to make my own lol. Thank you for your help!

zync

Ready to race!
I painted mine and then installed a gloss black VW emblem.

Where are you located in California? I'm selling my car soon, so I'd be willing to sell mine and swap in your stock piece if you're interested.

If not, just get some primer, paint, and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com. Make sure to sand the piece with several grits before painting. Once the clear is dried, install the black emblem and you're good to go.

I would avoid using plastidip. I dipped mine at first and it looked okay, but installing an actual black emblem is the better way to go.

Looks great! How much are you looking to swap it for? Thank you for the info. I may be in the bay this weekend - coming from Stockton, CA.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
You can get a gloss black badge on eBay or Amazon for under $15 and the color match vinyl backing from DeAuto Key or Boldsport for around 10 bucks I think. Don't use plastidip, it looks like shit.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
What would be cheaper? I am not sure where I would purchase the emblem. But I'd feel more of a "man" to make my own lol. Thank you for your help!
I forget how much it all costs from automotivetouchuppaint.com but I would say in the -$30 or so. You get a good amount of paint for more than just emblems. Job is not difficult mechanically, just takes patience and care not to mess up painting.
Cheapest route probably buy the insert and the painted emblem already.

Sent from phone Tapa

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Looks great! How much are you looking to swap it for? Thank you for the info. I may be in the bay this weekend - coming from Stockton, CA.

I'd sell it to you for $50 plus your stock piece. I'll be around this weekend, but the only problem is I'm not sure how to take it off yet lol. I'll have to do some research.

zync

Ready to race!
Before I painted mine I had the DeAutokey insert. It looks good from a distance, but the color isn't quite there. Not a bad deal for the price though.

I decided to buy the insert and the VW logo. $50 is a bit steep for me for this man. Are you saying the insert doesn't match the candy white well?

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I decided to buy the insert and the VW logo. $50 is a bit steep for me for this man. Are you saying the insert doesn't match the candy white well?

It's not an exact match. It's easy to see the difference from up close, but actually not that noticeable from a few feet away. But honestly it's a good way to do it if you're not looking to spend a bunch of money.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah def get the insert, it's way less of a hassle than painting it. I don't know about the deautokey insert, but I got mine from kliimotorwerkes and it's a pretty good match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zync

Ready to race!
Looks great!! I'll post a picture up sometime tomorrow of my progress.

Yeah def get the insert, it's way less of a hassle than painting it. I don't know about the deautokey insert, but I got mine from kliimotorwerkes and it's a pretty good match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk