GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rant- Windshield

McQueen77

Banned
State Farm will allow you to get OEM glass. I had my 1st windshield replaced with OEM. After that one cracked, I went with aftermarket as OEM was out of stock in the PNW. Apparently they're replaced often.

+1 on avoiding Safelite.

so you think id be better off having the windshield done at a place that specializes in that kind of thing vs. having it done at the dealer? everyone says the dealer is so much more incompetent than x, y and z but in my experience, everyone is incompetent. last state farm recommended shop i went to when i got my hood repainted due to semi truck rock spray did a 'good job' until i noticed a ton of swirls in the hood. when i brought it back to them, they just repolished it even though the swirls are in the clearcoat.. so to this day i still have some swirling in the hood, due to this 5 star reputable shop. you cant win.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I usually go to folks who specialize in their work so I wouldn't go to the dealer for a windshield as it's not their specialty.

Also, I usually ask friends/coworkers for recommendations, read Yelp reviews etc. Never what the insurance company prefers or refers as I don't trust them for the reason you noted.

State Farm outsources their glass replacement coverage to 3rd party company who is pretty darn good and were flexible in where I went for the replacement - I'm at 4 windshields in 4 years :(

McQueen77

Banned
so i spoke with my state farm agent. they said itd be a $250 deductible and my rates wouldnt go up at all. they also said that they would want to conduct an investigation and that i would most likely get the $250 back since they think the dealer was at fault. she said that the minute he had me come back and he agreed to bring someone in to fix the scratches, he is essentially admitting guilt. whatever i mean, they obviously did it and then made it worse in my mind so, fine by me. she asked if i had the entire email chain etc. between myself and the service advisor. and at this point, based on this, they are the last place i want to go back to to get the new windshield put in.

probably going to use five star auto glass in glendale. they have a good rep specializing in windshields and have a ton of 5 star yelp reviews, etc. i spoke with them and they said if i decided to go outside of insurance, itd be $275+tax for pilkington or ppg glass (oem) suppliers, or $395+tax for OEM w/the VW logo, which they say isn't any better. they said if i go through insurance i might as well have the OEM one put in. so the process is getting started today and im waiting on a call from a claims adjuster.. what a drag.

dcarony

Ready to race!
It's a drag, but at least its getting repaired, hopefully correctly. You should ask about increasing your glass coverage, that deductible is a heavy hit. Extra cost might only be a few bucks a year, and with this car you're gonna be using it.

I've gone to a glass place near me called 'Newburgh Auto Glass II' for every windshield I've had changed in the last 10 years. The botched Safelite job was three years ago, and I went to Newburgh to repair it. Never should have strayed. They are recommended by Allstate and do a superb job every time. The point of a recommended shop is that the repair is guaranteed by the insurer as well as the shop in the event of a mistake, which is inherently possible due to human error.

Tecni

Ready to race!
Mine is littered with tiny chips too and I already went through a cracked windshield last year. I think the glass is definitely soft.

dcarony

Ready to race!
Mine is littered with tiny chips too and I already went through a cracked windshield last year. I think the glass is definitely soft.
Yea, its been covered in quite a few threads, the glass is garbage. I don't know if its the angle or what, but its a known issue.

1hughesar

Banned
I got my windshield replaced under warranty as it had some blemishes in it as I called it and the dealership agreed. The blems were in the upper driver side corner where the black tinted area had some bubbles in it, and looked like shit.

An outside glass company came to the dealership and installed an OEM glass and I am happy with the quality of the glass and the install.

McQueen77

Banned
yeah, it blows.. not sure if she was correct in thinking i would get the $250 deductible back since the dealer seems at fault.. who knows. makes sense.. they ultimately don't want to pay anything, so i could see them going after the dealer for the damages and refunding me the money but i wont hold my breath. its either that or file a formal complaint with vwoa but in this case, its more trouble than its worth. then i gotta go back down there, probably several times, have the regional rep come look at it, on and on, resistance all the way im sure.. bad vibes all around.. im waiting on the claim # from state farm so i can move forward.

as for a shop recommended by state farm, thats 2 sided. they have a limit they want to pay so the places they contract with will stay within those limits whereas a shop of your choice will bill more liberally. the shop im looking at guarantees the work for lifetime of the job against leaks, noises, etc. so im not sure why id need state farms guarantee as well, unless i ran into problems with the shop down the road.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I have zero deductible on glass replacement. Windshield breaks, I call SF who transfers me to their 3rd party provider. I call a glass company in their network who does the replacement of my windshield in my office garage, they bill the 3rd party provider. Done!

Too late for you McQueen and yours was more damage than breakage but if you or anyone who doesn't have glass replacement coverage should add it to their policy.

McQueen77

Banned
yeah, im going to now.. but there may be a silver lining. i forwarded the entire email chain between my service mgr. and i to state farm along with the before picture of the damage so they can compare to how it is currently and see its worse now than ever. they said in these cases, since the dealer offered to fix it, they are basically admitting fault and that i will most likely get my $250 deductible back. so if that is the case, ill be really happy.

update is that they found a select shop near me, a mom and pop community type shop and the guy i talked to on the phone was cool. when i said i wanted OEM he said that state farm may try to make me go out of pocket for OEM since they have to buy it through the dealer. he said that they do that because unlike other genuine vw/audi parts, the VW glass is made by another company. so they would use OEM distributor like PPG or Pilkington.. they say the only difference is the VW stamp. that bums me out though.. but its not like the oem windshield hasnt been shit anyway.. .

Bender1

Banned
Yea, its been covered in quite a few threads, the glass is garbage. I don't know if its the angle or what, but its a known issue.

I am getting very tempted to replace mine as my next "mod" just because of how bad it is.

McQueen77

Banned
the guy at the shop thats going to do my car told me this is just par for the course in new cars.. got into a technical explanation of why the glass is essentially 'softer' now and more susceptible to damage.. my case was extreme though.. scratches for days. i really hope state farm sides with me and i end up getting the deductible reimbursed. so bummed on that dealer.. the one time i forget the 'do not wash' sign and this happens.

dcarony

Ready to race!
I am getting very tempted to replace mine as my next "mod" just because of how bad it is.
LMAO +1

I gave up after the third windshield, now mine looks like a grenade went off and the shrapnel chipped every inch.

McQueen77

Banned
Going in to have it replaced tomorrow. They are putting in Sekurit glass. Sekurit makes the OEM glass in our cars along with the glass in Porshe, Benz, etc. Its the same glass, yet cheaper than the same glass with the VW logo on it. The shop is a AAA select shop and has a really good rep. Local mom and pop shop in business since 1941. Dropping it off friday and getting back on saturday.

On a side note, I filed an official complaint with VWoA and theyre assigning some rep to the dealer to 'investigate' whatever that means. I forwarded them our emails and pictures of damage. Agent seems confident Ill get my deductible back.. I hope I do, careless bastards. Just goes to show how hard it is to have nice things. Regardless of how well you take care of something, it only takes one jackass to screw it up royaly.