GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Initial Impressions and Review of HPA SHS Coilovers

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I was doing a lot of research for my new car’s suspension after trading in my GTI for the A3. The Audi was riding quite high from the factory (AWD has a lot to do with that), so I knew I wanted to do something ASAP to get the car down. However, I did not want to sacrifice any ride comfort (as much as possible), which is the common concern for many who want to lower their car.

Previously, I ran the VW Driver’s Gear (DG) springs on the GTI, which are made by Eibach for VW, but not technically spec’d for the GTI. However, for several years now, owners have been running them on the GTI, and even the MK5’s have been running them and its considered by most to be the best ( and most cost effective) solution for retaining as much stock ride quality as possible, while also adequately lowering your vehicle.

After doing some searching for coils and spring options, the main thread that really upped my interest on the HPA SHS’s was this one:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70889

^ As you will see, it’s a SUPER extensive and detailed review, when you have some time, check it out.

When researching, my goal was to go as low or a tad lower than the DG springs on the GTI, but retain the same level of comfort / ride quality, or better if possible. The Euro “S” line springs for the A3 looked waaaaay too low, so after also considering spending $2K+ on KW V3’s or Bilstein PSS10’s, I talked with Darryl at HPA and decided that their spec’d version of the KW V1’s would be my best bet, both for comfort and for price. I was able to get them for $1150 shipped.

Also compared the SHS to ST’s that can be had for about $750 (also made by KW), but they are not stainless steel and the SHS’s are advertised to ride better than the ST’s. After riding in two cars ( I did not drive) with ST’s and now driving on the SHS’s for a brief time, they are definitely on par with the ST’s, if not better.

I had them installed yesterday, drove home about only 2miles from my tuner’s shop, went over the gnarly train tracks that I go over every day and was very impressed with how well they handled it and how quiet the suspension still is. I was even purposely driving over manhole covers to see how well the car was handling them – car responded better than on stock suspension and I’m currently on my 18” wheels with 40 profile tires, which could probably stand to have the PSI upped as well.

I’ve only gotten a slight rub in the rear when going over a big dip, but no “crashes” in the suspension or big jarring impacts. As I said earlier, it seems to soak up the same small road perfections better than the OEM suspension did, but you do of course have to be careful on big dips or bumps, as you would with any lowered vehicle. I drove 20miles to work today on mixed side streets, main roads, and highway, and basically in disbelief - I'm driving the car this low and not feeling like I had to look out for every little imperfection in the road. The car felt stiffer (similar to the DG Springs), but still gave plenty of rebound and compression when hitting the impefections.

Ratings:

Price / Value: 10 - for ride comfort and good looks, you can’t beat the price compared to others that run $2K+

Comfort: 10 - for coils (or springs for that matter), these are damn good at being as close to stock as possible.

Adjustability: 8.5 - only height adjustable (no dampening or rebound), but I knew that going into the purchase. You can get lower than DG springs with these, but there are coilovers that can go lower – they just may not provide the same ride comfort.

Handling: 9 so far, seems to handle a lot like my GTI did and I still have no sways. Will report back later on this one.

Service: 10 - Darryl at HPA is super responsive and professional. He handles his customer service the same way I do for my clients, so I greatly appreciated the entire process and he answered all my questions within a reasonable time frame and with adequate information.

Vendor info:
http://www.hpamotorsports.com/

Direct Link to SHS Coilovers:
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/shs1.htm

Fitment: MKV and MKVI GTI’s, R32/R, and the CC (plus other VAG cars, see link)

Ordering: As these are built to HPA’s specs and shipped direct from KW in Germany, it can take up to 2-3 weeks to receive them. However in my situation, I had them within a week of ordering.

The springs will still have to settle and I did not want the car “slammed” by any means, so these may not fill the bill for everyone, but I think for most general people who DD their car and may have some rough road surfaces, but still want to get fairly low without sacrificing much, these really hit the spot for those exact goals and at a reasonable price point. Pics below:

Rear down, nice squat:

As the days go on, I will continue to report back on my driving impressions and how the suspension settles and will update as we make any changes to ride height (rear sits a little lower than the front right now, which seems common with many CO installs). I will also report back in about 2 months after my first track day with them.

Conclusion: If you want the best in comfort, while going lower - but not crazy low - and you want to go lower than the most proven spring/suspension solution so far for comfort – the DG Springs, I highly recommend the HPA SHS KW V1 coilovers. It really seems to be the best of all words.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Very nice! Its good to hear these ride better than the STs. I was unimpressed by those coils.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Very nice! Its good to hear these ride better than the STs. I was unimpressed by those coils.

Yeah, I know some do not like those, but I only got to ride briefly in the cars that had them.

looks nice BUT lower it a tad bit more? no? :D

front, maybe. already some slight rub in the rear, but just on big bumps - had the same thing once in a while with the GTI on DG springs and the 18" wheels. We'll be aligning the car and probably adjusting the coils in the coming weeks, so we'll see.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nah man

I was waiting for the first one of those, lol...

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
front, maybe. already some slight rub in the rear, but just on big bumps - had the same thing once in a while with the GTI on DG springs and the 18" wheels. We'll be aligning the car and probably adjusting the coils in the coming weeks, so we'll see.

Was it the offset of the wheels you had causing the rub on the GTI and now the A3?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Was it the offset of the wheels you had causing the rub on the GTI and now the A3?

could be, as they are 18x8.5 +45

tamz273

Ready to race!
Are these coated with their Stainless Steel "Inox-Technology"?

They look MINT, just what Im looking for.. Almost pulled the trigger on the V2's until I came across this.......

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Looks Perfect! I'd leave it right there...

My only recomendation would be to clean out the garage so you can get the car(s) in there!....:thumbsup:

haha, yeah... we are going through some cleaning and garage re-arranging... 3 kids, hobbies, sets of tires and wheels, etc, etc.. messy, I know.

Are these coated with their Stainless Steel "Inox-Technology"?

They look MINT, just what Im looking for.. Almost pulled the trigger on the V2's until I came across this.......

correct, same KW INOX as usual, just check the link at HPA for more info/all the specs.