GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me decide on suspension setup (Bilstein vs Koni)

TheMadMan697

I am looking to lower my MK6 GTI around 30 mm. (Note I am European spec car so perhaps the factory height is slightly lower than US) The roads where I live are not so good. There are a lot of holes and dips on the roads which is why I don't want to go too low or make the car rough and unbearable. I want it to be a bit firmer for better handling but I will only be using the car on the road and not on the track. I have done a bit of research and I am trying to decide between a few different setups.

1. Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers
2. Koni Coilovers
3. Koni Sport Shocks + Eibach Sportline springs (European ones which are linear basicly the same as VWR springs)
4. Bilstein B12 Sportline kit (Bilstein B8 + Eibach Sportline springs)

From what I hear the Koni are the smoothest of the setups however I have only heard good things bout the Bilstein. I am just not sure if the ride will be too rough on Bilstein perhaps someone can comment on how they would compare the other kits I have selected. The B14 coilovers are probably tempting me the most at the moment if they are comfortable. I would like to hear any feedback people have on these setups.

Last edited:

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
you could always do the koni sports with driver gear springs, Im guessing the sportline springs are the same as dg springs? linear and mild drop. I've been happy with the setup, good when I want to push it and very dailyable.

OlHeadz

Ready to race!
I just installed the H&R Super Sport springs with the Koni Sports. I love the setup. I live in a urban city where the streets are wretched and this setup is as composed than the factory setup. With that being said, I've also run Eibach/Bilstein on an old Saab 9-3 and it was a proper setup too. Can't go wrong with either one.

TheMadMan697

Thanks for the feedback guys. I decided to go with the Koni Coilovers because everyone seems to enjoy how konis ride on rough roads.