GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for some answers!!

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
I've been chasing a rough ride issue for about a year and a half now.

Looking for some answers from the R guys with experience.

I have a 2011 A3 Quattro which is very similar to an R underneath.

I'm currently H&R 24/26 sways.
And eibach linear lowering springs.
Golf R struts and shocks.
Front LCA polybushings from ECS.

The ride is rough with front sway bar set to hard and set to soft!?!?!?????

Also had racingline R springs on before and they are highly recommended and have plenty of good reviews.

Same exact ride with both types of linear springs.

What is the issue ....

- My shocks are bad?

- My LCA bushings are dry likely so maybe that's causing the rough ride?

- The front sway bar is too much for these roads?

All's I know is I rode in stock 2012 A3 Quattro with the same springs but OEM S-line shocks and struts, WITH nothing else done to it, No swaysbars, no bushings, and the rude was flawless .... Felt awesome .... Not crashy at all !!!!!???!?!????

What is the issue on mine?

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What kind of tires?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
225 40 18 .... AS3+

Identical tires to what the other guy was running ....

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I had a similar setup and similar problems, and it was the shocks. They weren't bad, they were just poorly matched to the springs. I know they advertise that those springs will work with OE shocks, but in my experience they just don't. I switched to Bilstein B8s and couldn't be happier with them.

OlderSlower

Similar experience here; problem solved with Koni Sport shocks and struts. I agree that the stock shocks don't seem to work well for very long with stiffer springs.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Thing is .... Riding in the identical car as mine .... The ride was like stock/fine .... Just it had OEM S-line shocks and OEM sways ....

So shocks or sways .... Dunno.

Fast-R

Passed Driver's Ed
Sways don't impact the ride when driving down a straight road.. They only come into play when taking a turn.. This is why regardless of which setting you put it to, it rides the same..

It's your shocks and/or your choice of springs. Linear springs are like race springs and aren't very forgiving like a progressive rate spring is. .

The combo of a stock shock/strut and race spring is mismatched and will not be the best pairing. Even if a stock shock can do the task for a bit, it's only time before its starts to ride like chit..

Linear springs on the street will always be a bit rough, they are meant for track more than street.. Change to a progressive rate spring and your stock shock will act better but still not ideal.. Most times they are bouncy... Need the right shock/strut with the right spring to have a compliant ride..

zrickety

The Fixer
Your poly LCA bushings contribute to this, no doubt. I think they're totally worth it though. Have you had an alignment? Who did the suspension install? Bolts need to be torqued under suspension load, if they were in the air/too tight it could make the ride stiffer. Lastly, what tire pressures are you running?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Sways don't impact the ride when driving down a straight road.. They only come into play when taking a turn.. This is why regardless of which setting you put it to, it rides the same..

It's your shocks and/or your choice of springs. Linear springs are like race springs and aren't very forgiving like a progressive rate spring is. .

The combo of a stock shock/strut and race spring is mismatched and will not be the best pairing. Even if a stock shock can do the task for a bit, it's only time before its starts to ride like chit..

Linear springs on the street will always be a bit rough, they are meant for track more than street.. Change to a progressive rate spring and your stock shock will act better but still not ideal.. Most times they are bouncy... Need the right shock/strut with the right spring to have a compliant ride..

Ya sways don't seem to impact the rude much. Although most roads have slight undulations that are unequal side to side which can cause little bounce feelings etc ....

Well the linear springs are chose are very highly recommended and many people have had success with them compared to H&R or other progressive springs .... The ones I have are about 10ish percent stiffer .... And I drove in a car just like mine but it had stock everything except the lowering springs were the same as mine and it road perfect .... soooo ....

Progressive spring coils tend to rest on each other in the closer coils area and actually don't do much and I haven't heard a lot of compliments about them.

My springs are definitely not race springs ....

I think the problem is I chose R shocks/struts over OEM Audi items which cost over 50 dollars more per front shock.

DG springs are the most comfortable spring for the mk6 GTI and they are linear.

I should have got koni yellows.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Your poly LCA bushings contribute to this, no doubt. I think they're totally worth it though. Have you had an alignment? Who did the suspension install? Bolts need to be torqued under suspension load, if they were in the air/too tight it could make the ride stiffer. Lastly, what tire pressures are you running?
Maintenance is a problem with poly LCA though.

No alignment yet .... Handling is terrible .... But it doesn't absorb bumps properly at all.

Me, I did it .... To spec .... I've only done the springs.

LCA and sways and bushings were done at a professional shop .... As much as a shop can be professional.

I understand about bolts being torqued at ride height.

I believe my tire pressure PSI is 38 ish

bebersol

Ready to race!
I've been chasing a rough ride issue for about a year and a half now.

Looking for some answers from the R guys with experience.

I have a 2011 A3 Quattro which is very similar to an R underneath.

I'm currently H&R 24/26 sways.
And eibach linear lowering springs.
Golf R struts and shocks.
Front LCA polybushings from ECS.

The ride is rough with front sway bar set to hard and set to soft!?!?!?????

Also had racingline R springs on before and they are highly recommended and have plenty of good reviews.

Same exact ride with both types of linear springs.

What is the issue ....

- My shocks are bad?

- My LCA bushings are dry likely so maybe that's causing the rough ride?

- The front sway bar is too much for these roads?

All's I know is I rode in stock 2012 A3 Quattro with the same springs but OEM S-line shocks and struts, WITH nothing else done to it, No swaysbars, no bushings, and the rude was flawless .... Felt awesome .... Not crashy at all !!!!!???!?!????

What is the issue on mine?

Thanks.

I read a quote from a Citroen engineer years ago that the formula for best "all around" handling/ride is soft springs, medium dampers and hard sway bars. I've kinda lived by these rules since then and I'm generally happy. If you have adjustable dampers in this set up you can harden them up for track day.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
I read a quote from a Citroen engineer years ago that the formula for best "all around" handling/ride is soft springs, medium dampers and hard sway bars. I've kinda lived by these rules since then and I'm generally happy. If you have adjustable dampers in this set up you can harden them up for track day.
Exactly! .... This makes sense ....

Now if only I could find lowering springs that are OEM rate.

I loved how my ride was with all the other suspension mods including sway bars, with the stock struts and springs.
It rode and handling really really nice.