GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI : 1 problem for every 140 miles.

BoomBoy

Ready to race!
5) Rear wiper/sprayer - never mind the drip, mine did not work at all the second day that I owned the car. There was not pump motor sound while attempting to activate the spray nor any action at all from the wiper. The wiper did not activate either with the front on and the car in reverse. This issue vanished the next day and was replaced ever since by the dreaded drippy dick nozzle. Im also not confident that my rear defroster works as I dont notice much of an effect if the rear window steams up a bit.

Make sure the hatch is closed completely. I thought mine had the same problem with the wiper not working at all until I realized the hatch was not closed completely.

Rickfactor

Passed Driver's Ed
One question about the Bluetooth problem
What phone are you using?

I had the same problem when I used to have my iPhone. The phone would connect and the light would turn green but the call just wouldn't get transfer to the BT in the car when I receive or call and it just "stalls" and had to restart. But now I use android and I tried other non-iPhone phones and it works great and never experience the same problem

I have a 2011 GTI and Im assuming the newer BT module. I have never seen a green light even when it was working correctly for the first 2 weeks. Its not on the dash, nor the overhead console or Radio area. There are two red leds that are always on for the roof console regardless of whether I have the BT working or not.

Rickfactor

Passed Driver's Ed
The DSG is not an ordinary automatic tranny that uses "wet clutch", meaning the DSG is literally a manual except with two clutches. They designed the system so when you're slowed all the way down it'll disengage the clutch automatically. You feel the bucking probably because you slowed down to the point where the car disengaged the clutch and getting ready to engage the clutch with 1st gear. However, you quickly accelerated again right after it disengaged so the tranny wasn't ready. I drive a DSG and feel that all the time, you have to learn how to adapt to the DSG and once you do it'll be fine.
=D

The issue with it bucking or not moving at all only occurs from Park => Reverse or Park =>Drive. Its not that Im shifting from reverse at a slight roll into drive as I know there is some lag there. Its the same feeling as putting the car accidently into neutral and giving it gas...it just revs when its givin throttle. Maybe it is normal for DSG but if so, it should at least be consistant.

plat

Ready to race!
The issue with it bucking or not moving at all only occurs from Park => Reverse or Park =>Drive. Its not that Im shifting from reverse at a slight roll into drive as I know there is some lag there. Its the same feeling as putting the car accidently into neutral and giving it gas...it just revs when its givin throttle. Maybe it is normal for DSG but if so, it should at least be consistant.

Hmmm, I am wondering if its a mechatronic issue. There shouldn't be a significant delay when shifting reverse.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
The lameness of the rear window defogger is a known issue. My dealer says "they're slow". The MkV one worked a lot better.

Trust me, the GTI is fast compared to Japanese cars. The Honda defrosters are absolutely awful...

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
1) DSG - Mine has done this once, other than that it has been great for 16,000 miles. I think the other stuff is just the way the DSG acts. It takes a lot of getting used to. I actually have heard of them stalling, and mine nearly did the other day.

2) Bluetooth - what type of phone is it? My iphone has worked great, except for a few times when it took about 2 minutes to pair with the car. It could always be the phone and not the car, and that's probably the answer you will get from the dealer

3) Xenons - if you don't release the parking brake, or turn the lights on as soon as you start the car, they will not auto level. This is done immediately after the car starts, regardless of the lights being on or off. Even if you wait 10 seconds, you probably missed it. Also, as mentioned by someone else, they don't turn when you are at a dead stop. You must be in motion for them to turn, and it isn't very noticeable unless you have the high beams on.

4) Throttle cough - I have no idea what you are talking about.

5) Rear wiper/sprayer - Don't know what to tell you other than, if it's working now, I am sure it's fine.

6) Satellite radio - It's not necessarily the view of the sky, it's actually an angle which is needed for the radio to work, so while you may be in the show room, chances are the roof is tall, and the angle allows the signal to reach the antenna. I don't think a dealership would put a relay station for satellite radio on the roof just to send signal to cars in the showroom. As for the trees, I have noticed similar in all of my cars with satellite radio, it once again has to do with the angle. Tall buildings will have a similar effect.

7) Mystery knock - everyone else on here is correct to the best of my knowledge, we all have that same knock. Whenever anyone asks, I just tell them that I thought that midget hooker I left in my hatch was dead.

Mr. dB

Passed Driver's Ed
Trust me, the GTI is fast compared to Japanese cars. The Honda defrosters are absolutely awful...

I haven't been in a Honda since my 1991 CRX, but its rear defogger worked perfectly. I kept that car 'til 2007... Anyway, if the rear window was fogged, you pushed the button, and lines started forming pretty much immediately. And the one in my 2007 GTI worked as well as the Honda's.