GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger side rattling noise?

pupito57

I have a 4-door and I have (clunky) rattle on the driver side. It is something to do with the striker plate and door locking mechanism. I have read that adjusting the striker plate stops the rattle as well as air leak (in 2D).

I tried adjusting the striker plate all the way inwards and it stopped the rattle but then the door is no more flush. I am also starting to hear slight rattle on the passenger side too. Going to dealer this weekend for 90 day check. Let see if they can tweak the striker plate to stop the sound.

I fixed mine using 2 or 3 turns of electrical tape around the striker plate pin on all 4 doors just in case, zero rattles !!!!

P

plac

I have a golf TDI and I think I have the same noise like you.

It's situated at the right of the glove box, inside the dash.
On mine,
When my rpm is around 2500, I think engine is resonnating in something. I heard the vibration.

I usually drive using engine breaking, and when rpm drop to 2500, I hear the vibration.
The same noise is present when I'm in neutral and take the rpm around 2500.
It's clearly a resonnance problem for my case.

I meet my dealer on tuesday to check this.

simple. soon as you mentioned glove box.

its the fuel line rattle which has been in existence since 2006. i have a fix on the mk5 forums somewhere.

fuel lines go under passenger seat, come up to engine compartment behind the glove box.

P

plac

b pillar rattle tick is easily solved with a spray of litium grease on door side latch.

FlyingYeti

Passed Driver's Ed
Sometimes rattles and noises come from what you stored in those door pockets or other storages in the car. My coins left under the armrest sometimes have buzzing noise that sounds like coming from the dashboard.

mdashali

Ready to race!
b pillar rattle tick is easily solved with a spray of litium grease on door side latch.

I tried this on my driver side. Worked for a week or so and then same as before. Also its kind of looks ugly because of lighter color of lithium grease on a dark colored car. Why can't we use moly grease? They are darker and thicker. Any reason not to use moly grease?

P

plac

I tried this on my driver side. Worked for a week or so and then same as before. Also its kind of looks ugly because of lighter color of lithium grease on a dark colored car. Why can't we use moly grease? They are darker and thicker. Any reason not to use moly grease?

mine hasnt come back yet. thanks for the tips. still, i'd much rather apply grease for 5 seconds every week, than realign the door improperly and too tight, trying to mitigate the noise.

MadRabbit1

Ready to race!
I had the rattles coming from the drivers and pass doors. Took it into the dealer, they are great to work with. Found out both latches were loose, tightened them down, lock tite on the bolts and greased em up. said its common in brand new cars.

P

plac

I had the rattles coming from the drivers and pass doors. Took it into the dealer, they are great to work with. Found out both latches were loose, tightened them down, lock tite on the bolts and greased em up. said its common in brand new cars.

another good tip, ill check my bolts also. thanks!

blueiguana

Ready to race!
I had the occasional passenger-side rattling. Dealer fixed it by "using foam or some spray" not sure what it is. car sounds really quiet.

cnimativ

Ready to race!
rattles and squeaks can come and go and project so that you have no idea where it is coming from.
One of mine is from the passenger seat belt latch.
Just shake it a bit and it dissapears until the inards settle in a certain position and then it goes away.
It can go weeks not doing anything.
I

Ya I had that just today...

r56mcs

Ready to race!
My GTI has a rattle coming from the left rear passenger. It sounds like glass on loose clamp.

Nicks06TR

Ready to race!
I have heard that all of these rattles and noises are from empty bottles of Schnapps and Heineken bottle caps that the workers finish and leave inside the body of the car while building the cars.

Which brings me to my next point: Don't ever buy a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, or VW with a build date of October.