GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Totaled?

3ics

Ready to race!
Sorry, I may have missed this detail. It is his insurance saying it is not totaled?

My car hit around $6/7k with a side swipe with no airbag deployment. I can't believe it's not totaled.

OP - glad you're ok. Seeing pictures of how "well" VWs (or most european cars) do in an accident make me stay loyal to them.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Any updates OP?

It's still being fixed as of right now. I'm assuming the work has been started. I have wanted to make a trip by the shop but I have just been way too busy.

Sorry, I may have missed this detail. It is his insurance saying it is not totaled?

My car hit around $6/7k with a side swipe with no airbag deployment. I can't believe it's not totaled.

OP - glad you're ok. Seeing pictures of how "well" VWs (or most european cars) do in an accident make me stay loyal to them.

I am filing through my insurance and the body shop they "recommended" estimated just a tad over $8k in damages. I am at about the 50% mark when I need to be at 70% for it to be totaled.

The repairs have begun...I think, and I'm still expecting there to be some previouslt un-estimated damage to my car.
I would be shocked if they didn't find more, whether or not that will be enough to total it...well I don't know.

I just have the feeling that the car will never be the same again. I get that insurance just wants to do whatever is cheapest, but I wish they would consider the bigger picture.
The car got hit dead in it's side at around 40mph. Sure it can be fixed, most anything can...but will the car ever be the same? Probably not...

fastandfurious

Ready to race!
It's still being fixed as of right now. I'm assuming the work has been started. I have wanted to make a trip by the shop but I have just been way too busy.

I am filing through my insurance and the body shop they "recommended" estimated just a tad over $8k in damages. I am at about the 50% mark when I need to be at 70% for it to be totaled.

The repairs have begun...I think, and I'm still expecting there to be some previouslt un-estimated damage to my car.
I would be shocked if they didn't find more, whether or not that will be enough to total it...well I don't know.

I just have the feeling that the car will never be the same again. I get that insurance just wants to do whatever is cheapest, but I wish they would consider the bigger picture.
The car got hit dead in it's side at around 40mph. Sure it can be fixed, most anything can...but will the car ever be the same? Probably not...

Everycar would be totaled if the insurances would go with what the owners want...
If the shop repairs properly your car, you should not see the difference.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
I've worked in my parents' body shop every summer since 2003 until now, and 8k sounds right to me. Sure the damage look awful but well over half the damage will be fixed by replacing the quarter panel which has the same cost no matter how bad the damage looks. I doubt the frame is damaged because the brunt of the impact was above where the frame rails are.

The only thing that sucks is you will be losing the laser welds (also feel sorry for the shop for having to deal with cutting through them) and I have no idea how you can replicate the seamless look where the quarter meets the roof.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
If you do get it back fixed, make sure you take it on a long drive soon. My Audi A3 got in a similar accident with airbags deployed, insurance insisted on fixing it and it ''looked'' great. Until I drove it a bit. The tranny (DSG) clearly had issues, and started to get more and more difficult to drive and it quit on me finally one day in traffic. Turns out the tranny had unseen internal damage and that finished it for the insurance company - they totalled it after that.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Well this one is a M/T. But actually I will be driving from FL to NC in a little over a month from now. I suppose that will be a good test lol.
I still don't have any real updates on the car...maybe I'll give the shop a call tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I saw yours is a M/T. It was just my example. But a severe sidewise impact like that could have damaged/loosened/ mis-aligned other parts as well.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Yes, I saw yours is a M/T. It was just my example. But a severe sidewise impact like that could have damaged/loosened/ mis-aligned other parts as well.

Yes that's very true. I'd be surprised if I didn't have to take it back at least once to have something looked at again.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Got the call today.
They are not going to try to fix it.
I guess once they started getting into it it was just too much...
Going tomorrow to go get my plate.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Got the call today.
They are not going to try to fix it.
I guess once they started getting into it it was just too much...
Going tomorrow to go get my plate.

Happens to all of us, but on the bright side, that kid learned a lesson now that his insurance has skyrocketed. But you'll like the mk7 more if you ever want to move onto that. I don't miss my mk6 much anymore, other than the raw feeling and the exterior looks even with led tails.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
cool cool. Im glad you got everything worked out. IMO i would have preferred it to be totaled than fixed and have little issues for the rest of its life.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Yeah I mean deep down that's what I really wanted. It never would have been the same...

I'll take some pics of it today when I go get my plate....

I feel like I'm going to go identify a body lol.