GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Motor mount bolts

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Dipshit alert [emoji599] it was a 18 mm as our buddy carlosfandango confirmed. Bolts came loose with the first crack of the harbor freight breaker bar. Thought the bar broke at first due to the loud pop of the bolts.

Once I put the new mount in I was tripping out because it wouldn't line up then realized how sagged the engine was so gave her a few pumps and all went well. Some bolts were harder to thread in by hand but once they were seated and torqued I hit the expressway for a quick spin.

Upshifts, throttle input and downshifts are great now. This engine has always had poor sound imo but this added some appeal engine note wise. Wot over the shit road near my house the wheel hop is reduced alot. Also have a superpro ALK on too so that may be helping with that. Next is the trans mount tomorrow and then I can tackle the fucked heater core in my girlsfriends car [emoji482]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Dipshit alert [emoji599] it was a 18 mm as our buddy carlosfandango confirmed. Bolts came loose with the first crack of the harbor freight breaker bar. Thought the bar broke at first due to the loud pop of the bolts.

Once I put the new mount in I was tripping out because it wouldn't line up then realized how sagged the engine was so gave her a few pumps and all went well. Some bolts were harder to thread in by hand but once they were seated and torqued I hit the expressway for a quick spin.

Upshifts, throttle input and downshifts are great now. This engine has always had poor sound imo but this added some appeal engine note wise. Wot over the shit road near my house the wheel hop is reduced alot. Also have a superpro ALK on too so that may be helping with that. Next is the trans mount tomorrow and then I can tackle the fucked heater core in my girlsfriends car [emoji482]

I had the same thing when I replaced mine, it was surprising how far the engine had dropped on the old mounts and can’t have been good for the exhaust, the car felt better in every way with the new ones fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahard48

Ready to race!
Nice and congrats! I still have my 034 mounts to install after about 2/3 months of buying them...slacker....

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Morning commute in stop and good feels alot better. The car feels less retarded at low speed (dsg). Very happy [emoji16]

FF_animal

Ready to race!
So while installing the cts trans mount one stretch bolt that came with the kit refused to thread. Messed with it for about 20 mins everything was aligned properly. Got fed up and tried the factory bolt from the original mount and it threaded on the first twist. I'm sure I'll get flamed for reusing a stretch bolt. Other than that Install went smooth and the car has almost no slop or buck/jerk at low speed. My commute has been smooth as hell. Downshifts have no rock I love it [emoji16]

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
So while installing the cts trans mount one stretch bolt that came with the kit refused to thread. Messed with it for about 20 mins everything was aligned properly. Got fed up and tried the factory bolt from the original mount and it threaded on the first twist. I'm sure I'll get flamed for reusing a stretch bolt. Other than that Install went smooth and the car has almost no slop or buck/jerk at low speed. My commute has been smooth as hell. Downshifts have no rock I love it [emoji16]

Better to reuse the old one than cross thread it, have a close look at the end of the new bolt, it’s probably got a ding from being dropped, a small file would be enough to re-dress the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I'm curious as to why the engine note changes tho. Also dsg farts seem a tad louder. Any one else notice this? I can hear second gear farts alot more now with moderate throttle.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I'm curious as to why the engine note changes tho. Also dsg farts seem a tad louder. Any one else notice this? I can hear second gear farts alot more now with moderate throttle.

It's due to the different harmonics caused by the vibrations. You're just hearing the vibrations, similar to a loud speaker vibrating.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
It seems I forgot to do the 90° turn during my install. Some threads say this isnt needed and is an old method. I passed over all the bolts with a second torque wrench pass and everything was tight. Should I go thru the trouble of removing things in the way of the mounts and do the 90° turn? Or will I be fine with just torqueing to spec?

zrickety

The Fixer
That 90 degree extra is typically the stretch in stretch bolts. I might do an extra 45 and call it a day. If you feel like removing it, a little blue loctite would hold it and it's also removable.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
That 90 degree extra is typically the stretch in stretch bolts. I might do an extra 45 and call it a day. If you feel like removing it, a little blue loctite would hold it and it's also removable.
I think I will just hit them with a the wrench again.