GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying tires...suggestions?

ce4

Ready to race!
I picked up a screw in my rear tire the other day, and it just so happened to hit right on the sidewall side of the crown :mad: and after looking at the rest of the tires, its time to replace them all.

Currently I have Pirelli P Zero Nero AS on them. These were the tires that came on the car when I bought it last year. Not too hip on the performance or wear of these tho. But maybe could have been b/c they were used, dry-ish looking and already pretty well worn.

I put between 11k - 13k miles per year on my vehicles so I'm looking for something pretty affordable that performs as well as it wears. So far i'm looking at the following tire options:

BFGoodrich g-Force comp 2 a/s - 126.90 on tirerack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A%2FS&partnum=24WR8GFC2ASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2013&autoModel=GTI&autoModClar=4-Door

Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus - 138.22 on tire rack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+All+Season+Plus&partnum=24YR8P0ASPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2013&autoModel=GTI&autoModClar=4-Door

Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 - 141.75 on tirerack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&partnum=24YR8DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2013&autoModel=GTI&autoModClar=4-Door

Pirelli P ZERO NERO ALL SEASON https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+Nero+All+Season&partnum=24HR80NASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volkswagen&autoYear=2013&autoModel=GTI&autoModClar=4-Door

Both pirelli's come with a $70 mail in rebate but the Nero has a lower utqg rating then the Plus (400 vs 500). However the plus is the only no z rated tire i'm looking at.

The continentals have no rebate but appear to have the longest life, 560.

The bfgoodrich tires have a $60 mail in rebate, making them the cheapest out of the 4 i'm looking at, but have the same wear rating as the Neros, 400.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? I'd like to get them ordered today so I can have them in as quick as possible, or be able to check shops around me to see if they have them or can match prices.

**one thing to note as well, I am running a Stratified Stage 1 tune, no suspension modifications and the current tires just spin through when I'm not it. probably due to the wear on them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Are you looking for an all season specifically? Can't go wrong with the continentals or bfg. If you want an affordable summer then firehawk indy 500s are great and affordable. That being said the best would be some michelin AS3 or Super Sports.

ce4

Ready to race!
Definetley looking for an all season performance tire. Funds arent available yet for two dedicated sets. Found a good deal on the continentals, 133 ea plus free shipping from Amazon.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Just make sure they arent unloading 2 or 3 yr old tires on you

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Yes the age is important I've learned that after buying a few discounted sets on eBay.

It is a hard choice. So many options out there and most ratings are subjective. That said I have had Conti dws and they perform pretty well as an all season with some performance in mind. That's all I really have to offer though.

ce4

Ready to race!
Went ahead and got the continentals. Been dooing a ton of tire reading and online pricing all weekend. Got a pretty fair deal on em off and quick free shipping.

joebrowntech

Before you get your vehicle tires from any source, do not forget to ensure the proper specifications of the same. And this could be done most effectively when you consult the user manual of your vehicle.
But if you do not possess the user manual, you can get a copy of it online on manuals.co.