GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger side rattling noise?

McQueen77

Banned
So, resurrecting an old thread here: the last rattle in my car that I can't seem to stop is seemingly coming from the glove box. Anyone else been able to localize a similar rattle. Don't know if its the stuff in the glove compartment but if I push on the glove box door, it stops. Wonder if there is a way to adjust it so it sits a little closer and more flush to the seam. Applied some of the same felt tape that silenced the doors and it didn't really do anything. Maybe I'll bring it up at my next dealer oil change. Really considering those 17" wheels these days. These L.A. streets are horrific.

Freakinsweet

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have this rattle and even got my glove box replaced trying to resolve the issue. Turns out the rattle does not at all originate from the glove box but from the side panel below.

Check the pick out, I´ve framed the area that rattles from time to time.

I guess applying pressure on the glove box also affect the panel, stopping the rattle. Press your hand against the panel next time it starts to rattle, hopefully this solves your problem.

Last edited:

wutsupdoc1

Ready to race!
One of mine is from the passenger seat belt latch.
Just shake it a bit and it dissapears until the inards settle in a certain position and then it goes away.

I've noticed this as well. I try not to worry too much about rattles (I know, I know, it's hard) but all cars get them eventually. Serious rattles I try to fix myself (I've never had much success with dealers fixing rattles), but little ones I just try to ignore.

Turning up the music loud can help. Also helps with loud girlfriends :w00t:

Hobbes279

passenger rattle/squeak

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or not but...

I had a rattling/squeaking noise I noticed about a week or two after picking up my car. I noticed it didn't happen all the time, mostly I heard it when I drove it first thing in the morning, other times nothing at all (I bought the car in late Oct, so the weather was starting to get colder on and off.) I took it in for my 30 day checkup and mentioned it to the shop. The service manager went for a ride with me to try to hear it, of course it wouldn't make a sound even though we went down the bumpiest roads we could find. Later that week I went to take it in for a free wash after work and it rattled on the way there. I pulled in and the same service manager went for a ride with me. This time it made the sound even before we left the lot. Anyhow, they took it for the day and figured out it was the passenger fender support bracket bolts. These are found hidden behind the front bumper cover. After they tightened them the noise has never returned. :thumbup:

woofie2

Ready to race!
when the rattle turns into a scraping sound under the car, it seems to be the plastic channel cover under the passenger side,

mine was rattling, then started skipping, caught on a pavement seem then went crunch.

Tuppery_Numnak

Passed Driver's Ed
I also have this rattle and even got my glove box replaced trying to resolve the issue. Turns out the rattle does not at all originate from the glove box but from the side panel below.

Check the pick out, I´ve framed the area that rattles from time to time.

I guess applying pressure on the glove box also affect the panel, stopping the rattle. Press your hand against the panel next time it starts to rattle, hopefully this solves your problem.

I'm having the same issue with this panel. Did you find a permanent fix?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Yeah. Put some foam or non noise making material between the panels. The noise is permanently gone. This solved a lot of noise problems I was blaming everywhere else.

firefly1

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a similar issue with mine and I thought it's coming from the passenger side door all along.

It turns out it's coming from the head liner where the bluetooth mic trim piece is. Took it out and put some thin foam pieces around it. Problem solved.

Tuppery_Numnak

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah. Put some foam or non noise making material between the panels. The noise is permanently gone. This solved a lot of noise problems I was blaming everywhere else.

Awesome! Yeah, after I knock this out all I have left is the driver's side door creaking. Going to hit it with some white lithium grease first before I start messing with the striker panel or the seals.

Tuppery_Numnak

Passed Driver's Ed

I tried this stuff and it doesn't work. http://www.hillas.com/Images/Item/7/3073/Images/MainImage.jpg

Went to Home Depot, Lowe's, Michael's (craft) and can't find anything sticky. I wedged a piece of that 3M on it but the rattle is still present. I have to push the dash in to eliminate the noise. Maybe I just need a thicker piece...

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I just jammed in foam from shipping stuff (non squeaky stuff). Not in any particular way. Just rolled it up and jammed it in and put it at the parts that make noise when you tap it. Think i just even used tissue for some parts. Don't need to go out and buy anything.

Tuppery_Numnak

Passed Driver's Ed
I just jammed in foam from shipping stuff (non squeaky stuff). Not in any particular way. Just rolled it up and jammed it in and put it at the parts that make noise when you tap it. Think i just even used tissue for some parts. Don't need to go out and buy anything.

You have a photo of it? I'm afraid if I jam it in so it isn't seen, it'll fall into the actual stick shift area.