GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

transmission and shifting

CobraKing

Ready to race!
You'd definitely want a weighted shift knob with the DG setup - but then you gotta deal with hot shift knob in the summer and a cold shift knob in the winter. I'm running the S3 shifter in my Passat with the factory shift knob and I find it just perfect for a DD car.

OP, as killfish suggested you might want to take the car to the dealer if you have a warranty or try checking the shift linkages. It was very hard trying to read your original post but it seems as though the linkages might be binding or they may need to be readjusted.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
so i've always had this problem just never got down to asking anyone about it i got this car last year and put 25k on and its kinda hard to shift gears on it like from first to second it has like a sticky point where you have to push through it to get it into gear is that normal i mean it does it for ever gear while driving ever time i shift there like a sticky point it wont go unless you put some force into it and i can almost feel the gears shifting in the shifter going from one to the other is that normal for all mk6's??

So everybody is contributing some information from their experience and that is good. But what are you going to do? You have an actual problem on a 2012 GTI that has 25K miles on it and you have a 36K bumper to bumper warranty and a, i think 60K power train warranty.

Are you going to start modifying the mounts, change linkage yada yada? Put on your mechanic hat etc. or are you going to take in to the dealer and make them fix your car.

I'm not sure, because you say you have always had this problem. And driving it for 25K having to force the gear shift has not been good for the linkage or transmission.

My advice, take it to the dealer, get it documented and fixed.:)

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
So everybody is contributing some information from their experience and that is good. But what are you going to do? You have an actual problem on a 2012 GTI that has 25K miles on it and you have a 36K bumper to bumper warranty and a, i think 60K power train warranty.

Are you going to start modifying the mounts, change linkage yada yada? Put on your mechanic hat etc. or are you going to take in to the dealer and make them fix your car.

I'm not sure, because you say you have always had this problem. And driving it for 25K having to force the gear shift has not been good for the linkage or transmission.

My advice, take it to the dealer, get it documented and fixed.:)

common sense goes a long way.

OP report back once dealer fixes the issue.