GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem starting- "ESP Error"?

Blackie1

Ready to race!
have you guys noticed when this happens that the steering wheel is unlocked? i think to prevent it , usually you have to jiggle the wheel a bit when turning it on, maybe we just have to make sure it locks when we turn the car off?

nik

Go Kart Champion
My 11's did this a few times... though it turned over on the second go. nothing with the '12 (knock on wood) and I see that all but one of you have '11s. Me thinks something to do with a bad batch of parts or coding for that model year.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
This happened to me this morning. I let the car sit for about 5 minutes. It restarted no problems. No more error, drives fine. I am hoping it is a fluke. Sometimes software gets corrupt and you get an error.

stynker

Ready to race!
I had this happen to me tonight after I swapped out the stock shifter for the S3 short shifter. Originally tried to remove the battery so I'd have more room to work, but realized I didn't need to after I disconnected the wires. ESP Error popped up right when I started the car but went away as I was pulling out of the driveway for a test drive. Chalk it up to antitheft maybe?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I had this happen to me tonight after I swapped out the stock shifter for the S3 short shifter. Originally tried to remove the battery so I'd have more room to work, but realized I didn't need to after I disconnected the wires. ESP Error popped up right when I started the car but went away as I was pulling out of the driveway for a test drive. Chalk it up to antitheft maybe?
The car needed to relearn the steering wheel adaptations.

Fordson

Ready to race!
Notice how these are all 2011 and one 2010? I think there was a steering column module reflash or some such that was available for these cars. I thought it was confined to cars like mine with KESSY, but maybe not so - ?

Have the dealer run your VINs...I think there was a campaign.

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
My 2012 had the steering column module fault code earlier this week when I had a coil go bad. I just cleared it, as it has not been giving me any trouble. So I'm not sure it's exclusive to 2010-2011 MY cars.

JhnR

Banned
I had this problem, turned out to be my battery

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
Notice how these are all 2011 and one 2010? I think there was a steering column module reflash or some such that was available for these cars. I thought it was confined to cars like mine with KESSY, but maybe not so - ?

Have the dealer run your VINs...I think there was a campaign.

I have a base model 2011, and I've had it happen twice recently, I can't replicate the error though. It happened last week on me at pepboys after I went to pick up a part and between 15 minutes it stalled out on me with the ESP error, started again and it started without issue. Really odd

dimonic

Problem over 3 years, always when driving

In our 3rd month of our 2011 TDI, it happened when driving in a suburban area - engine power died. We had it towed to a dealership, supposedly repaired. Then again at about 6 months - ESP error. Then this weekend, it died with ESP error a total of 7 times during the snowstorm. I remember the first time was a drizzly day - so perhaps moisture is a common factor. This morning it was cold and dry, and I drove into work without a stall.

In my case, it takes about 5 minutes before it will start again. In this area it is a significant safety issue what with having one of the busiest stretches of highway in North America as my daily commute. Tow trucks descended on me like vultures each time I drifted to a stop on the shoulder.

I am taking it in tomorrow. It is at 89,000 km, and the warranty is only 80,000. I am going to press the fact that it was supposedly repaired twice for the same fault when under warranty, so this is their problem.

Last edited:

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Sorry to revive a dead thread but when I try to turn the car on the lights flash on dash and headlights but the car won't start...

Then the ESP

valj

Ready to race!
Sorry to revive a dead thread but when I try to turn the car on the lights flash on dash and headlights but the car won't start...

Then the ESP

Dead battery - 100%

charge it overnight or get a new one if this one is old