GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Armrest insert question..

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I am removing the MDI unit in my armrest and was wondering what takes it's place in cars without it.. I saw the USP insert but read that it won't work in MDI consoles..

Thanks..

Last edited:

StrigaMort

Ready to race!
Is that the ipod thingy? I'd love to see what you end up doing because that thing is dated!

2010 GTI 6mt, Autobahn, APR Stage 1 tune, Freakishly Clean

clownish

just clowning around
Put a mk5 armrest in there. My r32 has a huge bucket to put stuff into whereas my mk6 has no storage space except for coins or a hdd or something g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Put a mk5 armrest in there. My r32 has a huge bucket to put stuff into whereas my mk6 has no storage space except for coins or a hdd or something g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Is the mk5 a direct fit including e-brake and actual armrest itself?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Found an MK5 armrest bucket but still trying to determine if it will fit.. Also need to know if it will affect the rear vents

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

clownish

just clowning around
Brother, you are going to have to do some parts matching and experimenting if you want to head into this.

The mk5 and mk6 cars are very very close but the interiors are different. Off the top of my head, I'd assume you'd have to replace most of the center column area, not just the armrest bucket. Including the rear vent panels, the cup holder area, the coin change area ahead of the shifter, maybe parts of the lower radio area, etc.

The main body is 3-4 large plastic pieces, with a bunch of smaller clip ins or areas that might or might not work together.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The MK5 is a different color, btw.
It's "anthracite", a dark gray

The MK6 is "titan black", which is black

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
If you get something figured out I would love to know. I don't use the MDI, and the space under the armrest is all but useless. I was thinking about possibly trying to put a 12v outlet in the area where that little rectangular plug is, just above the hand brake. Not sure what that was for, if there was a feature my car doesn't have, but it looks dumb. If it was a 12v I could use it to charge my phone and keep it out of the way in the center console. I know I could used the MDI, but the "dash charge" in the oneplus phones uses proprietary hardware, and I have to use the 12v plug.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Brother, you are going to have to do some parts matching and experimenting if you want to head into this.

The mk5 and mk6 cars are very very close but the interiors are different. Off the top of my head, I'd assume you'd have to replace most of the center column area, not just the armrest bucket. Including the rear vent panels, the cup holder area, the coin change area ahead of the shifter, maybe parts of the lower radio area, etc.

The main body is 3-4 large plastic pieces, with a bunch of smaller clip ins or areas that might or might not work together.

The MK5 is a different color, btw.
It's "anthracite", a dark gray

The MK6 is "titan black", which is black

Thanks guys.. Pretty much gave up on the mk5 bin, but am looking at a single DIN cubby as the MDI seems to be the same size.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
If you get something figured out I would love to know. I don't use the MDI, and the space under the armrest is all but useless. I was thinking about possibly trying to put a 12v outlet in the area where that little rectangular plug is, just above the hand brake. Not sure what that was for, if there was a feature my car doesn't have, but it looks dumb. If it was a 12v I could use it to charge my phone and keep it out of the way in the center console. I know I could used the MDI, but the "dash charge" in the oneplus phones uses proprietary hardware, and I have to use the 12v plug.

I picked this up on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331941597624?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The pocket fit perfectly in the space where the MDI was located.. I went with this one because the pocket wasn't terribly deep..

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A@ron

Passed Driver's Ed

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Were there Mk6 Golfs without MDI, with one big L-shaped storage area, like the Mk5 had? It'd sure be nice to do a swap with that part and get some actual storage space.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Does it just sit in the old MDI slot, or is there a way to clip it in place? Just ordered a RCD330+ and am looking to add more storage in the armrest since the MDI will no longer be used.

It fits snug, so it sort of clips in. It doesn't rattle if that's what you're worried about. I also got the RCD 330+ which is why I did it.. Works very well.. You won't regret it..