GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Gone?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I'm having the same issue - 13K - stage 2 - starting to slip. Getting quotes but have a quick couple of questions. What is the benefit of a the VW dual mass fly wheel in general terms and is it better to go single mass flywheel when the clutch is replaced or try to leverage the current dual mass (if it's still in good enough shape - hard to know until it gets broke open...) or get a new dual mass??

The dual mass flywheel is two pieces. The friction surface rotates over the larger outer piece with the weights, and is dampened by springs. This absorbs engine vibrations, and isolates them from the transmission, which is why alot of single mass clutch setups make rattling noises. This also gives the clutch that vague feel, because it adds spring into the driveline. It's basically a comfort thing, not a performance thing obviously.

Southbend now has a single mass setup that is supposed to not make the rattly noises, so check into that

Bill Maynard

Thanks Cryptic... thats exactly what I'm leaning towards. I just got a quote from a local shop. Gonna have to wait until after Christmas as it's not cheap.

OldDirty

Ready to race!
My opinion is that it's morally wrong to try and get your stock clutch replaced under warranty when you are fully aware that it is slipping because you got your ECU tuned.

On top of that the new stock clutch is just going to wear out early again anyway. You are wasting other people's time and money by being selfish and inconsiderate.

Be a man and buy a proper clutch when you toast the stock one due to modifying your car. This is exactly why dealerships give a hard time to people who have modified their cars.....you are giving us all a bad name.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
My opinion is that it's morally wrong to try and get your stock clutch replaced under warranty when you are fully aware that it is slipping because you got your ECU tuned.

On top of that the new stock clutch is just going to wear out early again anyway. You are wasting other people's time and money by being selfish and inconsiderate.

Be a man and buy a proper clutch when you toast the stock one due to modifying your car. This is exactly why dealerships give a hard time to people who have modified their cars.....you are giving us all a bad name.

Well said. :thumbup: