GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG slow gear engagement: Clutch pack or Mechatronics?

rtnlsltn

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2010 has 72k on it and has had a pretty easy life. I've babied it for the 22k I've had it and the previous owner was an older couple. It's been at stage 2 for around 10k miles. I've been doing maybe 10-15 spirited shifts from 2nd-3rd at WOT in manual mode more frequently, but nothing too crazy. This has been just the past 2 weeks.

It seems like it's gripping gears very slowly. First gear hangs for seconds before it seems to fully engage. Gear changes are sluggish as well. It seems kinda "bouncy". When it decides to start in 2nd from a roll it hangs forever. If I'm in 2nd or 3rd and punch it the clutch doesn't seem to slip, though.

I'm going to run through the full mechatronics reset procedure and see if I can get any improvement. My trans has always had the hard first-gear engagement thing that a lot of people have, but it always shifted quickly and grabbed hard.

I did some reading but it seems like most people with clutch pack issues have more jerkiness. Mechatronics issues seem to be related to the lurching/sluggish shifts, but also have super hard shifts. Currently not throwing any codes.

What are my next steps?

rtnlsltn

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG service was done at 40k and the owner that bought it after did it at 50k. I just did the mechatronics reset procedure and it's still slow. I'm pretty confident it's the clutch pack. It's acting like a glazed manual clutch would. Even and odd gears are both shifting the same. Seems kinda random that it started suddenly, though. Not sure how to confirm it's the clutch pack? I did a few hard pulls and it doesn't seem to be getting worse, at least.

Last edited: