GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full Timing Chain Replacement

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
I'll give a quick back story..

The car is in prep for a big turbo, and is about to cross into the land of 70k on what I believe to be all Original timing components. It doesn't rattle, doesn't make any noise.. or at least not anything noticable over the existing TSI noises, mostly my HPFP.

However, I have to remove my front end for my Intercooler to be installed, and the car is getting a clutch..so the trans has to be removed.

Long story short, I'm just going to pull the entire engine out of the car to make everything easier, I saw no point in removing just the trans with the engine still in the car.

The plan is to do a bulk install of everything all at once, and while I had it out and easily accessible I plan to replace the entire timing system, new chains, guides, tensioners, gaskets, the works, And install my Fluidampr.

Yet all I am able to find for any sort of DIY Information is regarding the lower tensioner only. As for the OEM installation instructions (which is an exact match on AllData btw) is a bunch of convoluted bullshit talking about specialty tools and references different articles in the VW database about how to do stuff.

I have had my friend over at VW Service print out damn near all of them and it still isn't very direct. A Bentley manual doesn't exist for our cars, and from what I've read none of the other companies produce a manual for the car, Haynes, etc.

So.. Anybody have any references or resources to aid me in changing this all out? I have no doubt in my tools or mechanical ability to perform the service.. I have just never done it before, or even opened up the timing system on a TSI.

Any information y'all can provide would be fantastic.. I'm hoping it all makes sense once I get it out and remove the cover.. I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out.

Thanks!!

- Dave

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

TRBO FRK

Ready to race!
I'm also looking to change out my timing chain. There is really no direct instructions (service manuals) that I could find. Any help would be great.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

This only details removing the lower timing chain cover and replacing the tensioner to the updated version. A full on timing chain, guides/rails replacement is a lot more invasive, not to mention the parts list is a mile long and almost all of the bolts are stretch bolts.

I dunno, IMO if there is one place not to skimp on things for your engine this would be it.

Rizzo389

To add to this...I just had my tensioner replaced. Drives great & sounds great. Yesterday I went to start it and slipped off my keys. I went to start it again but it took longer to start. 5 minutes into driving, engine light comes on.... P2293 & P0016 codes. I cleared them and 10 minutes later back on.

So ever since I slipped in the middle of start up...it now takes a bit longer to start. Help please! Thanks

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Thread revival. Anyone figure this out? I got -4.55 degrees on my chain so I'll be doing this soon.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Thread revival. Anyone figure this out? I got -4.55 degrees on my chain so I'll be doing this soon.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Check the link in my signature. I put together a ton of information and pictures when I redid my timing system (all chains/guides/tensioners). Assuming you have some good automotive repair experience it's not too difficult if you have the correct tools, are patient, and follow steps in the service manual. There's no direct procedure in the service manual but you can piece it together using a few of the pages.

If you have any questions about the job feel free to ask in my build thread (I get automatic notifications) or PM me.

Last edited: