GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to replace Mechatronics?

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
My DSG-equipped 2011 GTI lurches instead of smoothly creeping if I lift off the brake from a complete stop. It has done this for years but didn't start until after the warranty expired. When I perform the DSG calibration with my VAG-COM, the problem is fixed, but after about 150 miles, it returns and after 250 miles it is once again unbearable. Recalibrating the transmission after every fill-up is becoming tedious.

All evidence points to a faulty mechatronics unit and I am fine with spending the $2,300 I have been quoted if I could be certain that my problem will go away and not return. I have APR ECU and TCU software installed as well as the usual engine mods like cold air intake and catback exhaust. Can anyone think of any other possible causes that can be ruled out before I sink more money into this car? I have only 52k miles and would like to keep it for another 2 years, if not more.

Uberryan

Banned
Sounds like it. If you're getting loud clunks and chattering when shifting from P to D, or R then you might wanna replace the clutch packs too. A faulty mech unit can screw up the CPs.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It does sound like it. I'd prob just DIY the mechatronic unit. It doesn't seem that bad to replace. 2300 seems steep since a new one is only like $1200 IIRC. Also I think youll lose the TCU tune IIRC since I believe the TCU is connected to the mechatronic but dont quote me on that.

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
I'm not equipped for that level of DIY. The shop that would do the work is the same place that did the TCU tune, so I am not worried about losing it. The part is marked up a little, there is about 3.5 hours of labor and then the cost of replacing the fluid and filter and gasket. Shifting seems fine so I am probably okay with the current clutch pack. Thanks for the info.

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
Time to replace Mechatronics? What else?

So now that I am paying attention, maybe there is some slipping that could be clutch pack related. Even if it is fine, I do take the car to the track and this seems like a good opportunity to do a bit of upgrading. I don't find many aftermarket DSG clutch packs and the ones I do find range from $1500 to $8000. I have a stock turbo and am on the fence about ever upgrading to a KO4. I have heard that the stock clutch pack can handle a good amount of non-stock torque. Is this the time also to install a limited slip differential? What would you recommend if you were in my shoes and budget was an issue as far as not wanting to spend money without getting a good ROI?

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
So now that I am paying attention, maybe there is some slipping that could be clutch pack related. Even if it is fine, I do take the car to the track and this seems like a good opportunity to do a bit of upgrading. I don't find many aftermarket DSG clutch packs and the ones I do find range from $1500 to $8000. I have a stock turbo and am on the fence about ever upgrading to a KO4. I have heard that the stock clutch pack can handle a good amount of non-stock torque. Is this the time also to install a limited slip differential? What would you recommend if you were in my shoes and budget was an issue as far as not wanting to spend money without getting a good ROI?

Do you already have a DSG tune? if not i would recommend you get one. I have IE DSG tune and it was a night/day difference, that stop and start lurches /hesitation/ jerkiness is almost non existing, as i still get them but not as bad nor that noticeable as before. the shifts are improved and the automatic down shifts holding the gear a little longer when breaking helps when coming to a stop. 1st in M mode is still a little jerky but thats normal due to us not having a torque converter. but you can get smooth take off in first.

i too was thinking my mech? clutch pack was going out but a audi/VW master tech advise me to try a DSG tune before i go replacing something that might not be necessary.

As for the bad clutch pack, im sure you would diffidently know its slipping if your in 5th/6th and got WOT is the rpm raises pretty quick and your speed doesn't increase then its slipping. you can find some you tube videos of DSG slipping

SteveInLA

Ready to race!
So here's some new info. A month ago, just before I made this post, I replaced my Neuspeed catback exhaust with a used Borla catback. As replies to this post were coming in and I was paying attention to the severity of the problem, I noticed that the symptoms were much less after swapping the exhaust. I did a recalibration and since then, the jerking from a stop is practically gone. Thinking back, this problem really got bad only after I installed the Neuspeed exhaust. Is it possible that a different exhaust would have an effect on starting smoothly from a complete stop?

Uberryan

Banned
So here's some new info. A month ago, just before I made this post, I replaced my Neuspeed catback exhaust with a used Borla catback. As replies to this post were coming in and I was paying attention to the severity of the problem, I noticed that the symptoms were much less after swapping the exhaust. I did a recalibration and since then, the jerking from a stop is practically gone. Thinking back, this problem really got bad only after I installed the Neuspeed exhaust. Is it possible that a different exhaust would have an effect on starting smoothly from a complete stop?

Not that I can think of. I mean maybe you'd see more of a kick, but what kind of recalibration did you do?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
interesting posts. mine gets a little jerky especially when cold and first moving it, otherwise i've always just been super smooth with the off-brake/on-throttle when taking off. but the shifts seriously just aren't a crisp as some of my friends who are dsg, to add i rarely get dsg farts, so i've always suspected my mech unit is leaking a hair. but its not a severe enough issue to warrant replacement.