GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

brocski

Just to close the loop for anybody who stumbles upon this problem. Thanks to new member brocski, updating to firmware 5516 solved the issue for the both of us. My phone is a Pixel 3XL and his is a Pixel 3.

Finally got approved to post on here! Glad this worked out well for both of us. I tried 4 different cables and was about to throw in the towel before updating the firmware. The head unit is 100x faster than it used to be. Stoked on the fix!

Also, this is a pretty handy trick to avoid plugging a cord into the front of your dash. I soldered a VW USB cable to the back of the circuit board of the RCD330 to relocate the USB to a button above the shifter. Gotta make sure the wires are on the right contacts but otherwise it's pretty straightforward. I think there are two variations of the cable out there so be sure to figure out which one you're working with before soldering.

Last edited:

KanyesChest

Ready to race!
Anyone have a link to 5516? The source that I bookmarked when I first got the head unit is charging for the updates now. Would be greatly appreciated!

Radom

For anyone that is suffering from an echo on Noname RCD330s:

Make sure your phone connects to the radio via bluetooth before you connect it through USB for Android Auto, etc. Otherwise what seems to happen is the phone uses both microphones, the radio and your phone. To get rid of the echo if you already have it during a call, select the radio as the input/output device on the call screen. (You might have to select phone first and then set it back to the radio). Do not do this while driving.

If anyone stumbles upon this and has a 2016 Tiguan S:
Your reverse camera will not work with this radio even though it is the correct type (CVBS). I am looking into how to make it work. Or if there are drop in replacement trunk handle cameras that work. I am decently confident it wants a Japanese market NTSC-J camera, but don't quote me on that...

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Be careful when updating your firmware. I bought the 187A firmware from rcd330plus.com and now my carplay won't work. No real help so far, might just have to buy a new unit at this point.

Radom

Be careful when updating your firmware. I bought the 187A firmware from rcd330plus.com and now my carplay won't work. No real help so far, might just have to buy a new unit at this point.

You can reflash firmware. If you find an older one and then update back to the current one, it should reset things.

dcnz

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have a download link for the 5516 187B firmware? PM me.

Last edited:

dcnz

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, I should mention that I updated my 187B to the 5516 firmware and everything seems to be working fine. I even applied the red VW startup logo so it matches the colour of my R lol.

dcnz

Passed Driver's Ed
This link 5516 brick my unit :(

I call bullshit. I used that firmware and didn't have any issues. I also used their logo maker to make a custom startup logo and it worked perfectly.

I think you're just posting that because it wasn't purchased through your RCD330 forum site.