GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4motion swapped 2.5 turbo Variant Build

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Today I tackled mounting the R-Line Golf side skirts to the wagen.

There was a lot of measuring, remeasuring, installing and uninstalling to get a perfect fit and finish. This is due to the wagen body not having the rocker studs that the Golf R-Line/GTI/R have.

After exact placement was located, the rockers were drilled for studs and the studs installed. The new holes had frame saver applied through the hole via Q-Tip and the studs were dipped in RTV to seal up any left over exposed metal or threads. This may be overkill, but I never take chances with corrosion (even in sunny Florida).

Now that the studs were installed in the right places, the retaining strip can be put in place. The strip has elongated holes and slides, so that you may make tiny adjustments to get the fit just right.

Finally, the underbody plugs were pulled and the bottom retainers installed in the plug holes, just as a factory R/R-Line would have. This creates a total of 9 contact points for the sideskirt, 10 if you include the factory adhesive strip at the top.

One step closer to the R-Line conversion. Next up, I'll tackle the rear hatch spoiler extension and rear bumper valance and diffuser.

Last edited:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Lol i was just talking up the sportwagen to my sister the other day. Was thinking how badass they would be if they had same power as gti.

You should stop reading my mind it's creepy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Lol i was just talking up the sportwagen to my sister the other day. Was thinking how badass they would be if they had same power as gti.

You should stop reading my mind it's creepy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You think it, I will build it! :thumbsup:

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
It's shaping up just right! Have you considered swapping the front bumper with that of a GTI or R?

Thanks deep!

No, I wouldn't do that. Not a fan of either of them on the Wagen and it's been done too many times. If anything, I'll order a Euro spec R-Line bumper, but they are very rare and very hard to get. Also, they are like $1,600+ just for the cover and not including freight. Perhaps after I finish the swap, I'll look more into it.

I actually prefer the grille/bumper combo I've put together thus far over all other options.

Last edited:

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Thanks deep!

No, I wouldn't do that. Not a fan of either of them on the Wagen and it's been done too many times. If anything, I'll order a Euro spec R-Line bumper, but they are very rare and very hard to get. Also, they are like $1,600+ just for the cover and not including freight. Perhaps after I finish the swap, I'll look more into it.

I actually prefer the grille/bumper combo I've put together thus far over all other options.

Yep, I am loving the grill too! I was throwing a random option at you, but I totally get your thought process. Car looks awesome as a whole :thumbsup:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
This build makes me smile...and dream of euro spec wagons we don’t get....and a bigger garage and not having to deal with Canadian winters. I love your vision for this car and your commitment to sharing in the process.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
This build makes me smile...and dream of euro spec wagons we don’t get....and a bigger garage and not having to deal with Canadian winters. I love your vision for this car and your commitment to sharing in the process.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad the community is enjoying the wagon so far. :thumbsup:

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
The rear valance and diffuser finally made it here from Germany!

I spent today taking apart the rear end so I could fit the new parts. A couple tweaks and got everything lined up perfect. Definitely need some spacers now as the skirts, front bumper and new rear make the car a bit wider looking.
Looks like disassembly and paint up next!

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Love both builds. Can't wait to see the wagon progress. So tasteful, with the photography to match.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Wrapped up the coding for the OEM Bi-Xenon LED retrofit. Really transforms the look of the car. A buddy mentioned that when you see the wagen now in the rearview mirror, you cant really tell what it is until it passes you. I kinda like that.