GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI got rear ended

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
If it is determined that they will fix it, make sure you file with the at fault owners insurance for Diminished Value settlement in addition to the repair.'

Some of the factors are age, cost or your vehicle, cost of repair etc., it looks like you would get a significant addition to the repairs, i don't know if this would affect the car is totaled determination, but make sure you tell them you will be requesting/expecting/demanding, a diminished value check/settlement.

GenDV138

If it is determined that they will fix it, make sure you file with the at fault owners insurance for Diminished Value settlement in addition to the repair.'

Some of the factors are age, cost or your vehicle, cost of repair etc., it looks like you would get a significant addition to the repairs, i don't know if this would affect the car is totaled determination, but make sure you tell them you will be requesting/expecting/demanding, a diminished value check/settlement.

yeah, thanks for that additional info. I've definitely been thinking about diminished value if they won't total it. I know resale value will definitely drop because of the rear end collision. If it ends up getting totaled, I'll have to make sure to get my undamaged aftermarket parts and whatever else I swapped. I'll keep updated with what happens.

TDI110

O_o
Fuuuu..... dude glad you're okay. I'm with bender on this one, it looks pretty bad. Fight to get it totaled the car will never ride the same. No matter how good the repair job is.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
1 Glad you to hear you didnt get hurt
2 Do your best to get that car totaled
3 Do you know the approximate speed that truck was going on impact? It looks like a strong impact and the GTI held up very well as expected

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Daaaamn,

To echo other posters, I'm glad you walked away. Too many oblivious drivers in land barges.

Hope you get it totaled or at least reach a satisfactory outcome.

GenDV138

Quick update for anyone interested:

I got the full estimate today from the collision center and it came out to somewhere above $15,000 (It was around $8,500 last Thursday/Friday based on exterior damage alone before they tore down the car yesterday). They believe it'll probably be totaled, I just need to wait for USAA insurance to make a decision. At $15,000, I have a good feeling they'll total it out.

Not sure what speed the truck hit me at but it was a pretty hard hit. Luckily no injuries have popped up other than a slightly sore neck which went away pretty quickly. Got some x-rays just to make sure since I have medical coverage on the auto insurance.

Also went back to the same sales guy I used at Lindsay VW today and he's going to try to find me a 2011 GTI with what I'm looking for.

Bender1

Banned
Looks like the truck was going over 30. Good idea to get all that medical work done, better now than find something later.

At that price they would be hard pressed not to total is. USAA always has a reputation of being reasonable. I would push back if they don't.

Keep us updated/good luck.

GenDV138

Well, good news!

Talked to USAA yesterday and they deemed my car a total loss. They ended up giving me a bit over $25k including title, tax, registration and extra options factored in (Xenons, 18" Detroits, tint, sunroof). I paid around $26k after road hazard coverage, title, tax, and title so I'm satisfied with the settlement, thought I would get less than what they decided on.

Unfortunately, they won't reimburse me for the LED tail lights so I took the adapters and swapped the ones that were still working with stock tail lights. Also swapped out all my aftermarket stuff with OEM back in after checking with USAA that I would be able to (Carbonio I/II, Euro switch, UG sidemarkers, 9W7 Bluetooth, shift knob, PIAA fogs, UG front lip spoiler).

My dealer was able to secure me a 2011 CSG 4DR GTI 6MT w/ Sunroof & Nav, my first two choices were Shadow Blue and UG but both of those cars were claimed. He gave me the internet price at $26299 without me asking so that was nice.

No medical problems with my x-ray results and final doctor check-up. Neck soreness went away after a few days and I'm feeling 100% fine now.

I'll miss the APR chip from my 2010 but I'm glad to get out of my Sonata rental and back into a VW! Probably will do one last update after I get the car.

bigshoulders

Ready to race!
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new (new) car. Glad to hear that your insurance company took care of you as well.

Cheers,
KP

little_loki

Ready to race!
oh my GOD dude that SUCKS!!
I was recently in the same kind of incident!!
thats how i got my gti actually hahah.
its AMAZING how easily these new cars get totaled at!!!

i had a 2007 civic--25mhp TOTALED nuts.
{i mean its a civic so ya little cheapiler made than the gti but STILL!!}

GenDV138

I picked up my new GTI on Friday and all is well again! 9/2010 build date, came with free GTI monster mats (in addition to the carpet mats) and the cargo liner/cubes, not sure if they come with the Sunroof & Nav package but it was a nice surprise. I'm actually digging the Carbon Steel Gray a bit more than the United Gray I had.

Got my golf ball shift knob and PIAA fogs installed so far. Need to get the Carbonio and BSH RSB on sometime. Got most of my VAG-COM stuff done including the cluster staging which my 2010 wasn't able to do. Hopefully it doesn't take APR too much longer, I'm missing my APR chip!

Thanks for all the support!

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
A beauty, best of luck with your new ride.