GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel reserve.

Spaztix1

Can I has GTI?
Last time the car said the remaining range was 5 miles, I filled it up and I think there were a bit more than half a gallon left in the tank. So in reality, it could go another like 15-20 miles (highway). Not bad...

EDIT: Just found out the tank is actually 14.5 gallons. There was another gallon or so left. So 25-30 miles?

Depending on how you drive. Then again I know how anyone who would floor it with the gas light on.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I don't know how valid this is, but I heard something in the past that it's not a good idea to run your car with only a couple of litres of petrol in it due to all the crud that settles in the bottom of your fuel tank. Apparently doing that will cause your fuel filter to clog up quicker and it's just generally bad for your fueling system and injectors. So I always keep my car above half a tank whenever possible.

cobie56

Ready to race!
If you live in jersey you don't have a choice whether or not you top off. If you pay in cash, and sometimes even with a card, it is pretty common for them to pump it up to the nearest 50 cents or a dollar by topping it off. Never had any sort of car problems related to it.

yeah,, i never understood what is it w/ that stupid rule in Jersey that you can't pump ur own gas? I've had idiot gas station attendants bang my car w/ the fuel filler neck and chip the paint and spill gas down the sides of the car.. morons!
I'd rather fill it myself... i do it often and always get yelled at by the attendant.. tough crap i say.. i pay for it, it's my gas,, my car.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Good question, I've always wondered the same... the only close call was when I was making my way down a canyon road (no gas stations or people around for about another 25 miles) I was shitting bricks since my range was showing 0 miles to empty and I did 15 miles like that.

Kinda scary

plat

Ready to race!
I just had a close call getting to a gas a station (range 0 KM for about 15 additional kilometers). Does anyone know exactly how much extra gas we have in reserve?

Back when my GTI was still new (during first year of ownership), I usually fill the tank when the gas gauge hit empty. We're supposed to have a 60-liter tank. I fill up from empty with about 50 to 52 liters with the gauge on empty. So, reserve gas is around 7 to 9 liters, almost 10 liters. I have driven my GTI with the gauge below empty a few times and I know I only have 5 liters or so left in it by the time I reached the gas station.

Like others have said, it is best to fill up once you notice the gas gauge at around 1/4 level. It helps with extending the life of the fuel pump.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I routinely run my TDI down to 0 miles to empty; and often go as much as 25 miles further at that point. The most I've gotten into the tank on fill up so far is ~14.9 gallons. I do, however, top it up completely to the filler cap, being a diesel there is no EVAP to kill :D

I've always considered throwing a diesel can in the back and seeing exactly how far it will run on "empty" as I am pretty sure VW built an even larger buffer into these than normal since running out of diesel is so much more harmful. Just haven't had the guts to do it yet. Not sure if my HPFP would thank me for that...