GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner here

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Ya, I tend to do that a lot lol.. My plan at this point is to start with a stage 1 tune on 93 gas, assuming I can upgrade without spending full retail when I want to go stage 2 and beyond.

Now, does it seem like most people take hardware components from various companies, or do people get all APR components, or whichever tuner they choose. I've read that APR is expensive, so if I can get the same results by buying other companies hardware and get the same results that's what I'd like to do.

Thanks for the help.

I am an advocate of sourcing used parts. The 250 dollar Godspeed downpipe functions the same as APR's 800 (?) dollar one... Lol. Just not as pretty.

rjkeene89

Ready to race!
I am an advocate of sourcing used parts. The 250 dollar Godspeed downpipe functions the same as APR's 800 (?) dollar one... Lol. Just not as pretty.
Ya. That totally makes sense. I do need a catalytic converter. Doesn't seem to come with one. Do I just buy a high flow cat and bolt it on?

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Ya. That totally makes sense. I do need a catalytic converter. Doesn't seem to come with one. Do I just buy a high flow cat and bolt it on?

Most of the time you have a choice of getting a catted or non-catted setup. Just do some research on the parts. I had a full CTS TBE (turbo-back exhaust). This was catted with a high-flow 200 cell cat.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Just bought my Godspeed Catless down pipe from their website for $186 shipped!

Sent from my iPhone

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Just bought my Godspeed Catless down pipe from their website for $186 shipped!

Sent from my iPhone

Just asking for the OP... Do you remember if they had a catted option?

What a great price by the way. Can't believe someone would pay FOUR times that for a "name".

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

What a great price by the way. Can't believe someone would pay FOUR times that for a "name".

No catted option you can weld on a cat though...

rjkeene89

Ready to race!

Okay. So let's do the math. Let's assume I do stage 1 first. Got that done.

Two paths here

Path 1. Buy a godspeed dp for 186. Need a catalytic converter. Let's say 100. And then the stage 2 tune. 150. So 436.

Path 2. 750 dollars for Apr. Get the tune upgrade for free. So a difference of 300 dollars. I suppose that it is better to do path 1.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Okay. So let's do the math. Let's assume I do stage 1 first. Got that done.

Two paths here

Path 1. Buy a godspeed dp for 186. Need a catalytic converter. Let's say 100. And then the stage 2 tune. 150. So 436.

Path 2. 750 dollars for Apr. Get the tune upgrade for free. So a difference of 300 dollars. I suppose that it is better to do path 1.

It sucks that APR now makes people buy THEIR downpipe for the free stage 2.

Jont189

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not buy the parts from a reputable dealer who make quality exhausts? I mean, you depend on that piece of metal to handle a lot of heat, and a lot of pressure, so don't you want it to be from a reputable company who has a history of making high quality, welded metal parts? Makes sense to me that apr wants you to buy theirs. Then they can guarantee it functions with the tune like it's supposed to. They design the tunes around the parts. That being said, I have the USP catted downpipe, 200 cell cat, it makes some serious power and an awesome exhaust note with stage 2 revo tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jont189

Passed Driver's Ed
Been very happy with the quality. Looked fantastic. All the welds were gorgeous. I know nothing about welding, but they were purty. A downpipe is a downpipe, sure, just a matter of personal taste and my desire to have someone standing behind my parts. I had the cash and wanted the quality, so I paid for it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
That being said, I have the USP catted downpipe, 200 cell cat, it makes some serious power and an awesome exhaust note with stage 2 revo tune.

Its just a pipe. But i understand what you're saying. Im conflicted between CTS and 42DD, not sure what i want to do.

Jont189

Passed Driver's Ed
Cts is all stainless. I think the 42dd is not. There's a thread of all the downpipe a, prices, and material somewhere on here.