GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
...Car is at Excelerate now, will hopefully be done either tomorrow or Friday. Apparently I had a broken manifold stud that was causing a small exhaust leak (that had been leaking for awhile)...might explain a few things lol.

Missed that for some reason. Broken stud from the cylinder head to the exhaust manifold? Or from the turbo to the downpipe? The only reason I ask is because I experienced a broken stud from the head to the manifold, which was causing an exhaust leak and screeching sound.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Missed that for some reason. Broken stud from the cylinder head to the exhaust manifold? Or from the turbo to the downpipe? The only reason I ask is because I experienced a broken stud from the head to the manifold, which was causing an exhaust leak and screeching sound.

Manifold to cylinder head. Mine was leaking past the exhaust gasket but wasn't making a screeching noise. They replaced all the studs on the cylinder head with new ones.

Want loud farts? Catless. /discussion

Lol very true.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Drove the car back home from Excelerate. Definitely bucks below 30mph but it seems like once I get up and moving it runs okay. I sent more data logs to Alex today, hopefully will hear back soon.

In the meantime, I installed my ECS catch can. The bracket doesn't quite fit right, and the return hose was a little short. Was kind of disappointed, but hopefully it does the job.

Unfortunately with my new oil pan my ECS skid plate no longer fits. I'll have to modify it or have a new one built.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Mine had that exact same stud broke from head to manifold when removing factory turbo. Had to get a shop extract and put in new stud

zef

Drag Racing Champion
How much ground clearance did you lose with that oil pan that the skid plate doesn't fit?

It's only about 5mm lower than the stock pan. I found that odd as well.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Going to swap out the grams TB and see if that fixes my issue. Looking at the datalogs Alex and I agree it's the culprit. More to follow.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
People seem to keep having issues with the Gramms throttle body, thats too bad.

That oil pan looks amazing! I think i'll replace my OEM one with that oil pan when I can't stand the rust on mine anymore.

Good thing you've got the front and rear deadset collar kits. The only issue I have from autox is the rear subframe clunking/shifting on me now. I've got the front collar kit and that held up fine but my rear... not so much with the oem bolts. I put an order in for the rear collar kit. They really seem to work wonders.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
IT's FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I snuck out of work this morning after a meeting to swap out the throttle body and now the car runs 100%. I will be contacting grams on why tf this thing wasn't working right.

I'll be sending updated logs tonight back to Alex and hopefully get this bitch dialed in!! If this car is this fast on the 93 base map I can only imagine what it's going to be on E30.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
People seem to keep having issues with the Gramms throttle body, thats too bad.

That oil pan looks amazing! I think i'll replace my OEM one with that oil pan when I can't stand the rust on mine anymore.

Good thing you've got the front and rear deadset collar kits. The only issue I have from autox is the rear subframe clunking/shifting on me now. I've got the front collar kit and that held up fine but my rear... not so much with the oem bolts. I put an order in for the rear collar kit. They really seem to work wonders.

I gotta go to speedsport for an alignment... something doesn't quite feel right with the front. It's like kinda floaty. Not what I was expecting having the summers back on.

And interesting about the rear subframe. Can't wait to really toss this car around and see how the 034 parts stiffened up the rear.

The 034 trailing arms despite being spherical bushings really didn't add any NVH. With all the bullshit that's been going on with the engine stuff I actually totally forgot about them lol

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I'm glad you got the K04 and all associated parts working now! Go figure it was the throttle body giving you problems. I wanna see Stratified work their magic now! Hopefully its another night and day difference after they are done with it.

I look forward to seeing it all in person at one of the events.

I'm not exactly sure whats going on with the rear of my car - I haven't gotten under the car yet. I will this weekend. But yea I seem to be getting a clunk when going over bumps, not so much on the turns. I'm not sure if its the subframe shifting on me or if I broke an end link. I did just install a rear sway bar but i was able to see that without getting under the car and its all still connected.

Those end links are still stock though so maybe 1 is shot. I'm just hoping its the subframe bolts - the rear kit seems easy enough to install.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Suspension parts have a habit of coming loose after 100-200 miles. It's always good to retighten everything after a week or so.

I'm headed down to the member CART meeting tonight to hopefully get voted in and get a number.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Suspension parts have a habit of coming loose after 100-200 miles. It's always good to retighten everything after a week or so.

I'm headed down to the member CART meeting tonight to hopefully get voted in and get a number.

Oh nice, good luck! I want to volunteer to help with a track day. I want to do a couple more autox’s before trying to become a member. Want to show them I’m willing to work

zef

Drag Racing Champion
They're eager for fresh blood. We had a guy there tonight who just bought a fiesta ST and never autocrossed before and just showed up to the meeting lol.

I'm debating between volunteering and doing it. I think I'm leaning toward volunteering until I have the BBK and Tyrol radiator on and all the other little quirks ironed out.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Hmm.... maybe I should just show up to a meeting then. Did that guy get voted in? Did you?

Yea, I think I'll do a couple track days next year and just stick to autox this year.

I really want to go K04 but people on these forums keep telling me to wait and just do LSD/BBK first. That baffled oil pan is probably a good idea too.

Planning on going to the 4/29 event?