GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04, California, and Smog

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
According to CARB an intercooler on a gasoline powered car does not require CARB certification. Even it did, no way would the 5 min visual allow them time to discover it sandwiched in between radiator and air cond condensor.

LINK to CARB DOC

I'm curious though if the they would hassle you about aftermarket intercooler inlet and outlet charged air pipes. Those might be a little more visible if you look under the intake manifold but again you'd probably have to be looking way too hard to actually notice they aren't factory.

I will note though I disconnected my twintercooler at last smog but left the FMIC in place. They didn't say anything about it, I'm not sure they even noticed it there. I was just going to tell them it was all stock and just disconnected if they hassled me.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I'm curious though if the they would hassle you about aftermarket intercooler inlet and outlet charged air pipes. Those might be a little more visible if you look under the intake manifold but again you'd probably have to be looking way too hard to actually notice they aren't factory.

I will note though I disconnected my twintercooler at last smog but left the FMIC in place. They didn't say anything about it, I'm not sure they even noticed it there. I was just going to tell them it was all stock and just disconnected if they hassled me.

As mentioned, an intercooler does not require a CARB number, neither does the inlet or outlet pipe.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
As mentioned, an intercooler does not require a CARB number, neither does the inlet or outlet pipe.

I don't see anything about the inlet and outlet pipe on the CARB doc. You certain about this? I'm going to buy both and was thinking about going with neuspeed, but the neuspeed TOP is $50 more than AWE and CTS. I'm thinking it might be worth going with neuspeed just for the peace of mind of having a CARB exempt sticker.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I don't see anything about the inlet and outlet pipe on the CARB doc. You certain about this? I'm going to buy both and was thinking about going with neuspeed, but the neuspeed TOP is $50 more than AWE and CTS. I'm thinking it might be worth going with neuspeed just for the peace of mind of having a CARB exempt sticker.

I ran with the Neuspeed K04 pipes over the last 4+ years before they had an EO number and nobody ever mentioned them in either of the two emissions tests. Unless you get into trouble and have to go to a referee instead of a regular smog station they just don't look for much detail. Having said that, just buy Neuspeed as I see they now have a CARB# as of this year just for piece of mind.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
They usually do a pretty quick visual check, the neuspeed pipes are stealthy as they're all black, and intercooler its sandwiched, the tech would have to really look and do research online. but anyway they don't require carb. just put in the stock airbox, stock Dp and call it a day.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input, guys.

So, for sure there is no CARB EO on intercoolers, so i'm definitely safe to go with aftermarket/non-CARB exempt (e.g. unitronic or CTS). But for the throttle and turbo pipes, I should just go with neuspeed for the CARB exempt stickers and peace of mind, even though chances of me getting heckled for it is slim-to-none.

I know i'm overthinking this, but this is correct, right? haha

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input, guys.

So, for sure there is no CARB EO on intercoolers, so i'm definitely safe to go with aftermarket/non-CARB exempt (e.g. unitronic or CTS). But for the throttle and turbo pipes, I should just go with neuspeed for the CARB exempt stickers and peace of mind, even though chances of me getting heckled for it is slim-to-none.

I know i'm overthinking this, but this is correct, right? haha

Yup, neuspeed pipes are high quality too, i been using them for like 4 years +

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Alright,, I have been doing as much research on going k04 and passing smog. Now I'm at a point that I feel I have as much info as I can to confidently move forward with it.

I know a couple members have offered to loan their modified CCTA dp, but if I wanted to get this done myself so I don't have to rely on anyone in the future, how much does it cost to get this modification done? Assuming I can get a hold of a stock CCTA dp that is.

Another side question: if I get a CTS k04 which has the DV relocated, will that be a factor in the visual of a smog test in any way?

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Alright,, I have been doing as much research on going k04 and passing smog. Now I'm at a point that I feel I have as much info as I can to confidently move forward with it.

I know a couple members have offered to loan their modified CCTA dp, but if I wanted to get this done myself so I don't have to rely on anyone in the future, how much does it cost to get this modification done? Assuming I can get a hold of a stock CCTA dp that is.

Another side question: if I get a CTS k04 which has the DV relocated, will that be a factor in the visual of a smog test in any way?

the CTS DV relocation sits in the back of the motor, so it is hard to see. My AWE k04 is the same setup. Depending on exhaust shops in your area, can modifiy your flange and add an addition o2 bung hole for most likely less than $80. haha i felt the same way,so i bought a stock CCTA pipe so i don't have to rely on anyone.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

The new CTS kits don't have the DV relocated, and use an adapter plate for the DV like the APR kit now. But if you had one of the old ones you could potentially fail if they start looking around too much and notice a weird silicone pipe relocating to the intake tube and start prodding about any aftermarket turbo. I'd just play it off, "is that not stock? that's how the cars been since I bough it lol" But again they would have to really look back there and probably know something about these cars.

Last edited:

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
Excellent. I was not aware that CTS revised their k04 set up. Is there a way to tell if I buy it online from a reputable vendor if I'll be getting the newer version? When did they relocate it?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Excellent. I was not aware that CTS revised their k04 set up. Is there a way to tell if I buy it online from a reputable vendor if I'll be getting the newer version? When did they relocate it?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm assuming all the big vendors that stock the CTS kit will have the new one, and they are always the same price, even on the CTS site. For example ModdedEuros has the pic of the new style kit with the pictures. It comes with a block off for the extra outlet on outlet pipe and you can see the little adapter plate they put on where the DV goes. I guess you could message them to confirm too.

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/cts-turbo-mk6-2-dot-0-k04-turbo-upgrade-kit-10-14-gti

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
I'm assuming all the big vendors that stock the CTS kit will have the new one, and they are always the same price, even on the CTS site. For example ModdedEuros has the pic of the new style kit with the pictures. It comes with a block off for the extra outlet on outlet pipe and you can see the little adapter plate they put on where the DV goes. I guess you could message them to confirm too.

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/cts-turbo-mk6-2-dot-0-k04-turbo-upgrade-kit-10-14-gti

Thanks.

I was considering ECS tuning, but it looks like they still have the DV relocation according to their photo and the description, right?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-parts/k04-turbo-kit/mk62.0tsik04kit/

"the CTS Turbo MK6 2.0TSI turbo upgrade kit uses a set of custom silicon hoses to relocate the factory diverter valve. Our diverter valve relocation uses the same principles as the OEM Audi S3, Audi TTS and Golf R. In addition to the diverter valve relocation our kit includes a new diverter valve housing to relocate the diverter valve, associated OEM gaskets, nuts, studs and hardware."

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Thanks.

I was considering ECS tuning, but it looks like they still have the DV relocation according to their photo and the description, right?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-cts-parts/k04-turbo-kit/mk62.0tsik04kit/

"the CTS Turbo MK6 2.0TSI turbo upgrade kit uses a set of custom silicon hoses to relocate the factory diverter valve. Our diverter valve relocation uses the same principles as the OEM Audi S3, Audi TTS and Golf R. In addition to the diverter valve relocation our kit includes a new diverter valve housing to relocate the diverter valve, associated OEM gaskets, nuts, studs and hardware."

Not sure, I'd just shoot them a message. I'd def want the updated kit though just a bit less messy.