GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0302 back again, at a loss as to why.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I've had this code before, and pretty much ever since I went Stage 2 APR (I think that's when it presented). Usually happens at 6k+ RPM, but also happens sitting at 4k RPM in 3rd for example. CEL flashes and usually stays. Occasionally it sounds like 1 cylinder isn't firing (sounds like a subaru). Seems to make 15-18 psi as normal. I don't notice abnormal power on the initial pull to 6k+ RPM.

I have done:
  • New plugs and gaps (OEM and aftermarket, from 0.24-0.32 gap)
  • New red top coils (total of 5, moving coils didn't move code)
  • New injectors (didn't know about extended warranty, paid out of pocket)
  • Carbon cleaning (walnut blast at a shop)

I don't know if it is relevant, but some days the car pulls strong with quick boost. Other days it feels like it's sluggish and slow to spool.

Should I check the valve springs? VW mechanic told me it was likely the case before I got my carbon cleaning. Went to a specialty shop and they said it was unlikely the valve springs, but likely carbon buildup and/or injector(s). Roughly 10k before this I was told by another VW dealership my carbon buildup was completely fine (they checked during intake replacement).

Could a timing chain stretching cause this?

Any other ideas?

FF_animal

Ready to race!
When you swapped coils/plugs did you peek down into the engine and look for any oil in the there? Oil on the plugs?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I look inside every time I pull the plugs. I did not see any oil in the engine or on the plugs. I do have a camera that can get in there, I can double check.

My compression was tested and is fine. I'm not sure if oil in there would be caused by seals failing or a head gasket. I'm not knowledgeable on the subject.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I checked to see what valve springs I had today. Using this thread I was able to compare springs. I have one of the weak versions.

In that thread and from APR shops I have been told they haven't heard of a Stage 2 car (stock turbo) having valve float. It supposedly only affects K04 swapped cars.

I'm assuming they are right and my car isn't an exception. However, it doesn't help narrow the code down much if this is not the cause.