GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Since a few have debated this, I'd like to get real world feedback from those running actual R8 coilpacks (those sold from HS Tuning, or at your dealer, etc) and if you've had any issues with them at all. I can't recall, but the R8 version red ones may be the same as the Touareg ones as well.

I had blown a stock pack with my K04 setup. Ever since going to R8 coilpacks, I've had no issues. While some may say they are purchased "because they are red", I keep my engine cover on and really don't give a shit what color they are, I care about them getting the job done and not leaving me stranded on the side of the road or limping off the race track like my stock one did.

I won't differentiate between stock cars and modded cars, because honestly, the stock units can blow on any car, modded or not. This is simply to gauge the effectiveness of this "upgrade". Only respond if you have in fact purchased them. Thank you.

chc29

Ready to race!
Replaced coilpacks with 06E905115E @ 51.7k miles, sitting at 67.5k miles now with no related issues

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Red coilpacks went on when I went stage 1 20k kms ago and I have had 0 issues.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Replaced when I went k04 45k miles or so ago.

I've been running the same packs through the whole f23t testing. I'm guessing I've put 80 or so Dyno runs on these packs and who knows how many street logs. They are running great. I even have an extra set at the house just in case but these have been flawless for me.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
Had the R8 coilpacks on for a few thousand miles and still ok. Previously had two coilpack failures and one suspect one before going with the R8's.

Also worth mentioning that I'm using Iridium sparkplugs changed at the same time as the coilpacks.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
Mine have been on since x-mas eve when I blew a stock one on the way home from work. No issues so far.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Changed out to the R8 coils in December as a safety measure for my F23T install.
The OEM ones that came with the car never failed, just wanted a peace of mind.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Seeing that "ppl buy these cause they are red" argument gets under my skin too. If these blew as often as the stockers they wouldn't be as popular as they are.

I've got 10k miles on mine at stage 2 with no problems.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Had them since 45K.

No issues.

MKV Turbo15

23psi and fast as fuck!
Stock coils were fine for me. Tuned since day 1, just hit 60K and replaced everything.

Red Coils with new NGK Iridium plugs put in 150 miles ago. Sitting at 60,150 now and love them.Throttle response is definitely noticeable.

Last edited:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Ive never had any problems with the normal coilpacks and my car is heavily modified and has over 120k miles.
I have yet to try the redtop r8 coilpacks though.

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anybody know how these compare to the latest revision coils for the GTI? I have the revision "F" coils, and they were a different design from the stock ones that failed on my car. Are they the same thing as the R8 coils?