GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Feathering and Cupping on new tires - help!

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't posted on here for a while but here goes...appreciate any insight/suggestions as always...

I have a 2010 GTI with ~115 000 km (71 457 miles)

Since I've owned the car I have run winter and summer tires. Replaced the stock Pirellis last spring and got a new set of Contis Extreme DWs. The main reason I replaced the Pirellis was they had developed feathering and cupping (there was a humming/road noise sound) - I was told that was an alignment issue.

I had the new Contis put on and an alignment at a reputable place right after and now just over a year later the same problem is happening - I noticed a humming road noise sound while driving at highway speeds especially. I was told the tires are ruined due to cupping and feathering! Now it apparently is a suspension issue...has anyone had this experience too? Any suggestions on what I should do? :confused:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Haven't posted on here for a while but here goes...appreciate any insight/suggestions as always...

Since I've owned the car I have run winter and summer tires. Replaced the stock Pirellis last spring and got a new set of Contis Extreme DWs. The main reason I replaced the Pirellis was they had developed feathering and cupping (there was a humming/road noise sound) - I was told that was an alignment issue.

I had the new Contis put on and an alignment at a reputable place right after and now just over a year later the same problem is happening - I noticed a humming road noise sound while driving at highway speeds especially. I was told the tires are ruined due to cupping and feathering! Now it apparently is a suspension issue...has anyone had this experience too? Any suggestions on what I should do? :confused:

I'll have to take a close look at the Pirellis on mine. I have only had the car since June, but I noticed immediately that the tires on this car are very loud, and are terrible in the rain. I'm looking forward to getting rid of these tires. Hopefully you aren't having suspension issues and you just have the same crappy tires that I have. I'll report back if I find anything unusual.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'll have to take a close look at the Pirellis on mine. I have only had the car since June, but I noticed immediately that the tires on this car are very loud, and are terrible in the rain. I'm looking forward to getting rid of these tires. Hopefully you aren't having suspension issues and you just have the same crappy tires that I have. I'll report back if I find anything unusual.

The stock pirelli pzeros are a terrible tire and will cup even with a good alignment and proper maintenance. They'll cup just because of their age.

I'm not sure I would expect continentals to have the same issue.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Do you rotate your tires? Any tire that is not rotated will get loud. Feathering & cupping are not normal wear patterns. Feathering sounds like alignment & cupping can be balance or worn shocks.

K-WMk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you rotate your tires? Any tire that is not rotated will get loud. Feathering & cupping are not normal wear patterns. Feathering sounds like alignment & cupping can be balance or worn shocks.

Thanks for your response...yes, I have rotated the tires regularly. Would cupping cause road noise or that mostly feathering?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Both could cause road noise. You may need to investigate to see if you have some worn suspension parts.

DELETE

Autocross Champion

I had the new Contis put on and an alignment at a reputable place right after and now just over a year later the same problem is happening - I noticed a humming road noise sound while driving at highway speeds especially. I was told the tires are ruined due to cupping and feathering! Now it apparently is a suspension issue...has anyone had this experience too? Any suggestions on what I should do? [emoji782]

I had the same issue when I bought the car at 21k. The pirellis I had were either on their way out or already had the cupping and I couldn’t tell right off the lot. I took it for an alignment as per the suggestion of a reputable mechanic and it came back. I’ve learned after my next set that the rear suspension on these cars causes a slight “camber” due to the weight of the body pushing down in the center. After a thorough alignment the rear was still slightly off according to the numbers. You must and this is a big MUST, rotate often to avoid cupping. I rotate every oil change (3k for me). I haven’t had it happen since and I’m at 60k today.