GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some clarification

m0j0jojo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car: 2012 GTI
So last week, I was on highway 400, and then boom started loosing speed, and the engine start missfiring. got it towed to the nearest dealership for them to look at it. Today they told me that it was a problem with the turbo. and they will have the turbo kit in on Monday. But what is really bothering me is that he said the car still has warranty? I bought this car preowned in April 2018, and just last weekend I reached 100000km. So how is it possible I still have warranty? I was wondering if maybe the previous owner had extended warranty but I called one of the other volkswagen dealership, and they said extended warranty cannot be transferred. So I'm wondering if at the end I will end up paying a shit ton of money. I'm so confused now, and I dont want false hope. :(

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
Some recalls/service campaigns are in effect longer than factory warranty. Maybe this is the case?

Fast-R

Passed Driver's Ed
They can't charge you $1 unless you authorized it in writing to perform the work..

Alternately, you can ask for something in writing that says it is a warranty repair, but based on your situation, it may make sense to stay quiet and just wait for the repair as opposed to them looking further and finding out it might not be covered under warranty.. They have to stand by their word and if they told you its a warranty repair, you should be good..

Bottom line is that they need your authorization in writing in order to charge you for any repairs. Be careful of what you sign..

Also, your issue also sounds like a boost hose popped off but the dealership should know the difference between turbo issue vs. coil pack issue vs. boost hose pop-off issue..

m0j0jojo

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: Dealership called me to apologized as they mistook me for someone else, and gave the diagnostic for a different car lol... My car just needed new coil packs and spark plugs (Thank god). I asked them if I had warranty and they said no, so if it did turn out to be a turbo problem it wouldve cost me a whole lot more haha. All well that ends well.
Thanks for you guys' input

torga

Autocross Champion
Glad to hear it's not serious! Coil packs and plugs are stupidly easy - do it yourself.