GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

xr6turbo18

Can anyone help with a rattle I have in my gulf r 2012?
Seems to go away when I engage the clutch.
Rattle/knock not always there it comes and goes.
I left car with the dealership for 3 days and they couldn’t here it!

torga

Autocross Champion
Your R may potentially have an aftermarket clutch with a single-mass flywheel. That's the best case scenario.
Worst-case I think would be worn OEM components. I've had a worn flywheel in a previous car that chattered a bit on idle until I'd step on the pedal, then it'd go away.
Does yours chatter only on idle or also under load?

xr6turbo18

I’ve had the car for about 4/5 weeks and it has about 121000 km on clock so I’ve had the timing belt kit done with water pump, idol pulley and seals, fluids.
Also had drive tensioner replacement and new belt fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I’ve had the car for about 4/5 weeks and it has about 121000 km on clock so I’ve had the timing belt kit done with water pump, idol pulley and seals, fluids.
Also had drive tensioner replacement and new belt fitted.

It sounds to me like an aftermarket flywheel/clutch. Does it get louder with the AC on?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

xr6turbo18

Yes it has got louder with ac on. I was thinking the other day it was ac compressor.
What’s the ac got to do with it?

torga

Autocross Champion
It may very well be that the car has an aftermarket clutch and single mass flywheel that you don't know about. All the things you've described are typical of a single mass flywheel (OEM is dual mass).

If that's the case, it's 100% fine to keep driving.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yes it has got louder with ac on. I was thinking the other day it was ac compressor.
What’s the ac got to do with it?

Just makes the engine work harder at idle. I have a single mass fly wheel with all solid mounts and my car feels like a brookstone chair when I turn the AC on

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Just makes the engine work harder at idle. I have a single mass fly wheel with all solid mounts and my car feels like a brookstone chair when I turn the AC on

same here, can confirm.

i agree that it is most likely the flywheel

torga

Autocross Champion
Thanks heaps guys!
So it’s normal rattle with single mass flywheel?

Totally normal, but that's IF you have a single mass flywheel. The only way to truly know for sure is to look, which involves taking the transmission off.