GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

transmission slow to engage reverse - 2012 Golf 2.5

oggoldfish

Hey guys, have been looking over the internet to see if I could find a solution to this, or if it is really a problem, and don't see anything for my model.

Problem:
Purchased a CPO 2012 Golf with automatic transmission and 45,000 miles. Car shifts perfectly fine into all gears EXCEPT for reverse, this can take 1 to 2 seconds until it engages. Happens at start up and after car has warmed up. Happened in warm weather and in cold weather. Happens every time I shift into reverse.

Of course I did not notice this during the test drive since I was too busy testing everything else, didn't think to back the car up since everything else was fine.

My research has shown:
1. some people claim that VW automatic transmissions ALL have a slight delay before shifting, to take pressure off of some pump.
2. some people claim this is common (older models, Passat for ex.)

Wondering if anyone can tell me if their 2.5 shifting into reverse gear is also delayed by a second or two, or if this is absolutely abnormal. I do have a CPO warranty, I just would rather apply a fix myself so I don't have to be without the car while they try to fix it. It's not that big of a deal, but I would rather not do any damage to my transmission if it is indeed an issue. If it is 'normal' I can most certainly live with it, I've just never had a car that has a delay shifting into reverse.

sparky123

My 2012 Golf 2.5L does have a slight delay going into reverse. Slightly longer in the morning and if the car is not perfectly level there is a very faint "groan" before going into reverse. Has done this since new and I attribute this to the 6-sp. transmission. Have you done a drain and fill w/new transmission fluid? I'd do one ASAP since you're @ 45K mi. I plan to do mine around 25-30k mi. All of the other family cars have 4-sp. auto's and none have any delay. I wish my Golf had a 5-sp auto instead of the 6-sp. I'm not too crazy about going into 6 gear @ 30-35mph. Lugs the engine ever so slightly. BUT, the transmission quickly downshifts if needed. I'd suggest putting in new fluid and report back your findings. Bill.

oggoldfish

Thanks for the info Bill, happy to hear it is common for the transmission to do this. The dealer said they did the automatic transmission fluid change, but I don't believe them.

Weakspecs

Ready to race!
doesn't sound to out of the ordinary. id just make sure its not taking a long time to engage. I have a 2011 and it too has a delay but noting crazy long and you can tell its engaged when it does that groan noise to. of coarse I have an exhaust so mine makes a louder noise then it does sock.