GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cabin Heating Issue

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
Every time I use the heat in my mk6 golf it always makes an annoying sound that seems like it is coming from the vents. I'm not sure if its a fan going lose or something but it sounds like a high pitched tone. Has anybody encountered the same problem or have any resolutions to the problem? I don't want to contact the dealership since they will charge a ridiculous amount of money to fix it. Thanks!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I have it too. Both mk6 gtis had it. It comes from the center vent. Happens when one vent is closed and gets louder with each vent that is shut.

Dealer replaced the center vent with no success.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Wind squeal is a simple side effect of the pressure in the ducting, caused by both the splits in the ducting and any flaps (the vent doors) in the air path. You should notice that the sound is different depending on the combination of which vents are open/close. There's nothing you can do about it.

The thing is that's for the air movement itself. Why you would be getting squeal with heat, specifically, is kind of mysterious. I only get the squeal when the air is blowing at max force ("4") with a dependence on which vents are closed and which aren't. Whether the air is heated or cold AC, or whatever, doesn't make the difference.