GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coding rear LEDs help!!

darsat

Hi,

New to this forum but have a specific problem that someone might be able to help with. I have a 2012 GTI Autobahn, Xenon front lights, LED DRL and have installed OEM LED rear lights (originally from the U.K.) which have a rear fog. At the moment they all work as expected, but I get a bulb out for the rear right reverse light. I have tried changing byte 18 from 21 to 04 and to 15 but I can’t get rid of the warning light. Any suggestions? Should I be using a different code or do I need a hardware solution such as putting a resistor in the tail light cabling?

Thanks!

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I am not sure exactly how to fix this, but you can give Ross Tech a call and I am sure they can help you...

Assuming you bought your VAGCOM legit from them...

Jeff

darsat

Yes I did buy it legit. I thought maybe I just had the wrong code but I will reach out to them. Grateful for any other suggestions too.
Thanks

kiyoshi147

Ready to race!
do you have the Euro switch and trigger wires sorted out? to the best of my knowledge/experience there is no "coding only" solution to Rear Fog LED tails.

darsat

Don’t think they are goofy lights, they are legit OEM VW LED lights but just from the UK. I tried 1F, 15 and 21. 1F gave me front daytime running light error. 15 and 21 gave me the same rear backup light error. I don’t have the euro switch but also am not interested in being able to use the rear fog, just want it to be ignored and get rid of fault codes. Any other tips? Surely someone must have the same specs and situation as me?

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Don’t think they are goofy lights, they are legit OEM VW LED lights but just from the UK. I tried 1F, 15 and 21. 1F gave me front daytime running light error. 15 and 21 gave me the same rear backup light error. I don’t have the euro switch but also am not interested in being able to use the rear fog, just want it to be ignored and get rid of fault codes. Any other tips? Surely someone must have the same specs and situation as me?

Which Wiring Harness are you using? Could be a bad harness wire causing a fault.

and we are assuming all bulbs are functioning properly?

Jeff

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Try 04

darsat

04 didn’t work either. I got the wiring harness from eBay...(?) Don’t seem to have a problem with any of the bulbs or wiring though as all the lights work and the rear fog comes on in place of the right-hand rear reverse light. It’s just that I want the car to know there is no right hand rear reverse light (because the UK spec lights have a fog instead) and be coded not to turn it on...

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
You can try “20” as well. Similar to my setup but I opted for no rear fog. I settled on 21 for my setup.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Could just be a bad wire harness from Ebay, just the fact that who knows who made it makes me wonder.

If you are trying all the codes that work for everyone else, and they are not working for you, then its either your doing something wrong coding wise, or your parts are crap.

One of the Two.

I would call ECS and get some good harness's. If you have actual OEM tail lamps they will have a harness for you. Try there. If they still dont work? Then its the Tail lights have a fault.

Any other reason is just grasping at straws.

Jeff