GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much does our A/C system weigh?

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
Weight makes a huge difference. I have a friend with a mk4 gti runing low 13s on a stock turbo+ethanol cause it weighs practically nothing.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I notice a big difference in my butt dyno when I have other people in the car with me. But of course that is 100lbs plus.

Kaenon

Ready to race!
I plan on doing lightweight ~18lb wheels for my upcoming summer setup but with the pss tires I'm lookin at $2000ish for that weight savings. I was looking more in the range of free for now. Spare, AC, rear seat delete, 1/4 or 1/2 tank of gas that kind of stuff. If the AC only saves me 5lbs, it's staying in. If its 40 ill think about it.

You're stage 1.

If you are worried about dropping a few pounds for added power, go K04 and get a gym membership. Weight loss and more power!

:23:

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Well driving around with AC is gonna be a pita but, the s2000 Club Racing edition had no AC so it is doable. Is it worth loosing comfort though? IMHO you're better off taking out the spare tire and rear seats but, that's as far as I would go. If you think about 40pounds is not that much. Take some trash out of your car go run on the treadmill and viola 40 pounds and you didn't need to sacrifice comfort. If you just want some extra power drive with AC off.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Why don't you use the a/c? Your mileage will go up at speeds over 45-50MPH and without a/c getting your windows defrosted in the winter will be a bitch. Keep it it, even if you don't think you use it.

Also, a lightweight battery will save you close to, if not more than, 40 pounds and it WAY easier to do.

TheOctane

Ready to race!
Why do people only compare with AC and without? BIG picture people, BIG Picture.

You guys would be correct in assuming JUST 40 lbs of weight reduction wont be very noticable...but add that with 250-350lbs he can reduce in otherways? YES you notice it.

I love how all the trolls think the OP is a troll...

Weight is commonly over looked when Auto Crossing for fun...(read: Miata)

Enjoy your lighter car OP

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Why do people only compare with AC and without? BIG picture people, BIG Picture.

You guys would be correct in assuming JUST 40 lbs of weight reduction wont be very noticable...but add that with 250-350lbs he can reduce in otherways? YES you notice it.

I love how all the trolls think the OP is a troll...

Weight is commonly over looked when Auto Crossing for fun...(read: Miata)

Enjoy your lighter car OP

If you're going to race your car, and a couple of tenths of a second can make the difference between winning and losing. Maybe prize money and none.
Then by all means, strip eveything out.
If you're just usung your car on the street though...
What's the point?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If you're going to race your car, and a couple of tenths of a second can make the difference between winning and losing. Maybe prize money and none.
Then by all means, strip eveything out.
If you're just usung your car on the street though...
What's the point?

Anyone buying a GTI to "race" is a fool

UFfitz56

Ready to race!
Complete A/C systems can weigh up to 75lbs...like in my 944. But then again it doesn't have power steering or an interior either hahahah. Taking the A/C out of a street driven car is retarded though.