GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat 18: CAR MODS GALORE; CAR PROBLEMS GALORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phur

Autocross Champion
We just got power back! My wife and I sprinted in to the espresso machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

You mean you don't have a dedicated generator for it?

Phur

Autocross Champion
[emoji23]
Maybe we’ll invest in one now.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Cold brew...

At first I was like, “Why didn’t I think of that?”

1) We only buy whole bean coffee, so grinding it would be an issue.

2) It takes a minimum of 12 hours to brew.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
After hours chat with boosted

Woohoo
Cold brew...

True . Good points.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Cold brew...

you grind coffee anyway. what's it to you for investing a bit more time grinding enough for multiple servings, which you can keep refrigerated anyway?

Phur

Autocross Champion
Keeping coffee refrigerated does not actually help it stay fresher. It does introduce moisture though which will negatively affect the coffee.

It is recommended that you brew the coffee with a few minutes of grinding. Otherwise you lose some of the aromatics and oils.

My espresso machine grinds just enough for a single or double shot of espresso directly into the portafilter.
The extremely fine, powdery grind used for espresso would not be appropriate for cold brew. You would want a medium to coarse grind similar to French press.

I still have my Bodum burr grinder that could grind beans appropriate for cold brew, but again, they quickly degrade.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Phur vs Ugly Coffee Fight Tonight on Forums Pay Per View....Sponsored by Kalamazoo.

Phur i went to order coffee from kalamazoo, they tacked on $12 to ship $12 worth of coffee. For a 12 ounce bag of coffee thats really not fragile or anything is really bad shipping costs. (basically a regular can of pop)

May hit up craig and see if he can hook it up. lol

Boosted after hours ASMR chat (jingles bag of coffee beans)

Phur

Autocross Champion
Agreed, their shipping is insane.
Not so much when you order over $100 worth of coffee at a time though.
[emoji16]

Phur

Autocross Champion
This was what we brought back from our first vacation to the UP.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
StillIn4PtakFeedbackOnAudiSQ5doe

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
All I'm saying is burr grind what you need, then cold brew right away. And let's be honest here you'll drink the whole batch in a day anyway. Plus sealed containers in the fridge wont introduce moisture. Physics says so.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Last chichis i know of went out of business last year . Only reason it stayed open cause was near one of the biggest malls in america.

On the border is a chain here too..i havent been but im sure its good americanized mexican food. They have decent tortilla chips we sometimes pick up at the grocery story

Frontera grill another popular place, also have never been. But i do enjoy rick bayless and his tv show.

I had to Google what happened to them (Chi-Chi's)....closed/bankruptcy due to a Hepatitis A outbreak in 2003-2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-Chi's

Says there was only one restaurant left until 2011, lol

As for the store bought "On the Border" chips....they're meh/not the same.

They make the chips fresh (along with the salsa) in the restaurant.
If you live near an On the Border...just walk in & order a quart of salsa to go (it's like $6) and they'll give you two big bags of the fresh chips too to go with it.

If I'm making dinner at home (like tacos)...I'll swing by there just for that to go with it.
It's really that good

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
All I'm saying is burr grind what you need, then cold brew right away. And let's be honest here you'll drink the whole batch in a day anyway. Plus sealed containers in the fridge wont introduce moisture. Physics says so.

Keep meaning to get some coffee to use for cold brew. Maybe Ill do it this weekend.

Finally bought a rolling island for the condo. Will finally be able to have more "counter space" and have a place to put all my freaking pots and pans.

Status
Not open for further replies.