GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 Volkswagen Golf R Series Turbo Coming to America

GTI2007

The ultimate Golf gets 270 hp and may be called the R20.

It’s no secret that we love the Volkswagen GTI—it's a three-time reigning recipient of a 10Best Cars award, after all. But even the 210 hp of the upcoming sixth-generation 2010 replacement model leave the GTI at a distinct power disadvantage in its class.

In the recent past, VW’s answer for power junkies has been the R32—a GTI with a 3.2-liter V-6 shoehorned into its engine compartment. Heavier than the GTI and equipped with all-wheel drive, the R32 failed to deliver significant performance improvements despite its 250-hp rating. We liked it, but were disappointed by the marginal performance benefits over the base GTI.

Six Becomes Four—Plus a Turbo

Meet the new R-series Golf. It will feature basically the same direct-injection 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engine that you find in the GTI, tuned to an impressive 270 hp. Power will be transmitted to all wheels. Zero-to-60 times should be in the low- to mid-fives, and while the regular GTI tops out at a drag-limited 149 mph, the new R version will hit its governor at 155, with a theoretical top speed 10 mph or so higher.

Unlike the R32, the new R model will offer performance greater than the GTI’s, with the slightly increased weight and resistance of the AWD system easily offset by the leap in power and torque. We expect a choice of manual and dual-clutch transmissions, each with six forward ratios.

Essentially, the Golf R features the Audi S3’s powertrain. We have driven that car extensively; think WRX performance combined with Audi refinement. It’s worth noting that the new Golf MkVI, upon which this R version will be based, is more sophisticated than the Audi A3/S3.

The exterior of what we believe will be called R20 Turbo is distinguished from the GTI by an even more aggressive front spoiler, complete with three distinct air intakes, a more aggressive rear spoiler, and two center-exit exhaust pipes. Three doors will be standard, but VW will most likely also offer a five-door variation. Our artist’s renderings show a possible look for the three-door R20.

It’s Coming Here!

This ultimate Golf will go on sale in Germany in late 2009, and after some internal back and forth, VW has decided to offer the R model in America.

VW will first show the R-series Golf on May 21 at the ADAC 24-hour race at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Volkswagen will also launch an R version of the sporty, Golf-based Scirocco. Equipped with the same engine as the R20, it will be front-wheel-drive. Torque steer will be managed by an electronic differential VW calls XDS—and a prayer.

So far, no Scirocco is slated for a U.S. launch. But the Golf R is, and we couldn’t be more excited.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...olf_r_series_turbo_coming_to_america_car_news

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I like the front better than the Mk6 GTI but i prefer the back on the mk6 GTI.
I still think it should be badged GTI-R, like the GTI had two models from the late 80s in europe. They should use the old 16V badge type font/badge layout of the mk2GTIs for a blue R badge to sit below the GTI one on the front and rear. Like they did with the mk2 GTI 16V. It would look so much better than this r20 cr4p.

That way it could still trade on the GTI image and people not into cars would have a clue what it was!

GTI2007

I'm also not that thrilled about the center exhaust but luckely these are just renderings and not the official look

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I don't like the idea of the exhaust for many reasons but one is my other half burned herself on the lupo GTI one tyars ago trying to get things out the trunk. Not a great idea having an exhaust there imo.
I don't think that this exhaust will happen if whispers of what im hearing are true.

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
I nearly said i think that maybe a bit oTT but i though i better think of something else. Then again i will just say the sad cheesy line.
I think the supple backend of the mk5 GTI is enough. Maybe change those wheels for the scirocco studie R 19s. Some supple side skirts, the R20/RaVe 270 front bumper style, better brakes and spend the rest of the budget on improving the steering feel of the S3 haldex setup plesse and fitting the full leather recaro bucket interior from the S3 option list, pritty please.:)

:icon_secta:

Last edited:

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
If that time scale they talk about is true, and by the time scale of the standard GTI im not too sure this will be true myself. I will wait and see what its like but i really would like a GTI badge on it somewere lol.

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
If this is true and its basically an S3 with 5bhp more this could be interesting.

The performance tested figures for a 3 door S3 are
0-60 5.6
30-70 through gears 5.1
0-100 13.8
standing qtr 14.0 101.1
30-50 3rd 2.7
30-50 4th 4.0
50-70 5th 4.8
50-70 6th 6.6
top speed 155mph
rpm @ 70mph 2650
weight :yikes: 1455kg

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
Isn't the S3 electronically limited to 155 mph?
yes.

are those times with a 6 speed or with the dsg transmission???
Its the 6speed S3 manual as the DSG one has not been out that long here all the magazines are testing eco boxes at the moment not seen a DSG S3 tested yet

I want a badge on this GTI-R similar too

But of cause saying R or R20 or whatever under GTI not just a silly R20 badge rubbish i want a GTI badge on it too!!:laugh::cry:

Last edited:

MKVI R32

Passed Driver's Ed
2.0?!? 270 hp?!? FWD?!? I want :D