Go Kart Champion
Damn a GTI is as fast a 370z who knew?

Veyron next?

LMAO

fast2ghl

Ready to race!

Lawrider

Passed Driver's Ed
This is an interesting thread because today I ran into a 370Z on (offroad track in Mexico highway). I am lightly modded and we were pretty even from various 50-120 runs with me just barely creeping on him, and that is with a bit of slippage from my clutch. This was absolutely a case of him trying because he seemed to get pretty pissed and got a bit reckless trying to get ahead of me after several pulls- at which point I just backed off.

It was black with red piping by the tailpipes, I want to say it was a Nismo trim but it was dark outside and the car was black - and the Nismo trim does not boost power, IIRC.

Sometimes I want to take this car to a dyno...I understand the importance of torque in the real world but on the highway in 4th and 5th gear pulls to redline (well 5500-6000 for me) horsepower should become the bigger factor, and shouldn't a 370Z be at least 50whp more than a stage2+ GTI?

The last time I was dead even with a car was a stage 2 Focus ST, fwiw. Easily walked my friend's stock Focus ST.

Just putting down power mods down for reference:
APR stage 2
APR intake
SPM 3" TBE (catted)
S3 IC
17" wheels with tires (ditched OEM wagon wheels)

Last edited:

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
This is an interesting thread because today I ran into a 370Z on (offroad track in Mexico highway). I am lightly modded and we were pretty even from various 50-120 runs with me just barely creeping on him, and that is with a bit of slippage from my clutch. This was absolutely a case of him trying because he seemed to get pretty pissed and got a bit reckless trying to get ahead of me after several pulls- at which point I just backed off.

It was black with red piping by the tailpipes, I want to say it was a Nismo trim but it was dark outside and the car was black - and the Nismo trim does not boost power, IIRC.

Sometimes I want to take this car to a dyno...I understand the importance of torque in the real world but on the highway in 4th and 5th gear pulls to redline (well 5500-6000 for me) horsepower should become the bigger factor, and shouldn't a 370Z be at least 50whp more than a stage2+ GTI?

The last time I was dead even with a car was a stage 2 Focus ST, fwiw. Easily walked my friend's stock Focus ST.

Just putting down power mods down for reference:
APR stage 2
APR intake
SPM 3" TBE (catted)
S3 IC
17" wheels with tires (ditched OEM wagon wheels)

Very nice! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
I ran into a nice sounding blacked out G37 the other day that was driving aggressively with me. We lined up and I honked it off. I was starting in 2nd, he got the initial hit so I played catch up, then I missed 3rd and essentially got raped. We pulled up to the next light and I told him I missed 3rd to which he response was a very sarcastic "yeah right". I guess this was bringing me back to earth and showing me some humility, anything can happen out there.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
You pretty much have to go all out with cars like that, that's how I see it. I beat a wrx hatch (doubt it was an STI) but I had to go WOT and keep it there In Order to win. The Subaru actually took off first and I was the one who caught up and passed it. He looked a bit disappointed as he gave me the thumbs up lol

mrcainmd

Well the Prius reference was just exaggeration, but yeah, GTI is pretty damn abysmally slow in stock form. I mean, there are plenty of S packaged normal cars that can then easily keep up with a stock GTI including Camrys, Corollas, Accords, to name a very few.

As someone who just traded in my Corolla S for a GTI I can say without a doubt you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. At least regarding this statement. Let's take the Corolla S for example. The S is an appearance package, it's nothing more than little things here and there to make it look sporty. There is no way in hell my Corolla S could keep up with my GTI in any gear or speed or any scenario you want to put it in.

Just the fact that you think an "S packaged car" would be any different than the normal version performance wise proves to me that you don't know what you're saying.

This is coming from someone who owned and drove a Corolla S for 8 years.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Same here I had a 2014 Corolla s before my GTI and there is just no way it was even close to any performance.

P.S. I'm suppose to race this 370z again soon. He just added some dual intakes but I'm stage 1 now so hope that helps

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Realistically, I bet a 2016 Camry XSE (V6) would give a stock MK6 a good run. I would imagine that it may even pull out a small lead in the higher gears.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Realistically, I bet a 2016 Camry XSE (V6) would give a stock MK6 a good run. I would imagine that it may even pull out a small lead in the higher gears.

I think you're right. lol and that is sad.

mrcainmd

This I do not doubt. I don't think a vehicle with a larger engine and more power should lose to a vehicle with a smaller engine and less power. My argument was specifically about the "S packaged cars".

S has no bearing on performance it's all appearance and I know for a fact a Corolla isn't nearly as quick as a GTI