GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FrankenTurbo F23T Review and build thread.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
More info is up. Will keep updating and editing the first two posts.

Hit the dyno today to see how the F23T would react to the APR Tune.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Nice keep up the good work.... And 30+ psi :eek:

Yea. I almost shit myself. On the 3rd gear pulls on the street we were not getting that. At the end of the day we had it dialed to about 28->25 psi.

The first run I almost dropped my phone. That dyno in 4th puts a LOT of load on there. Guess that's why numbers are conservative. Not a ton of gain compared to the K04 but this is more about how the F23T and the APR tune would react. Discussions are being made now about what will go on the car.

chrisisnapping

Go Kart Champion
Pretty good jump in HP and tq, especially on 91oct

Will be interesting to see what happens when you get an appropriate tune for it.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Pretty good jump in HP and tq, especially on 91oct

Will be interesting to see what happens when you get an appropriate tune for it.

What will be nice is having the wastegate held shut till specified boost is reached. On the last run pink there was only boost control based on the spring and preload. Made for terrible boost response and spooling. I would rather make power off of less boost too.

On the positive side all my IC piping held up to that pressure test.

GP813

Ready to race!
Numbers look to be similar to what we saw when the kit was first previewed.

SlowS3

Ready to race!
This is awesome! already doing 300 whp and great torque... btw are you thinking of staying with APR software or will you change to GIAC?

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Numbers look to be similar to what we saw when the kit was first previewed.

Guess that's good right?

This is awesome! already doing 300 whp and great torque... btw are you thinking of staying with APR software or will you change to GIAC?

No no this is just to see what would happen. That you could run it potentially with another tune but of course not optimal. It's more about seeing what would happen. And I found out. Set the preload or drop a load in your pants.....

Software is still being discussed. Need to try to set the preload tomorrow.

GP813

Ready to race!
Guess that's good right?

Definitely man! I guess I didn't express how great that is UNTUNED.

Again, thanks for being the guinea pig and putting up the money to do all this stuff. Seems like a dog and pony show for you considering your history but the enthusiast community is all the better for the "Top 3 percenters" (Big turbo guys, track enthusiasts, show car folks pushing the envelope)

Gives me one of the few precious reasons to come to this place still despite Stage 1 tune thread number 234234324324 or whats the cheapest and best (insert part here) i can get.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Definitely man! I guess I didn't express how great that is UNTUNED.

Again, thanks for being the guinea pig and putting up the money to do all this stuff. Seems like a dog and pony show for you considering your history but the enthusiast community is all the better for the "Top 3 percenters" (Big turbo guys, track enthusiasts, show car folks pushing the envelope)

Gives me one of the few precious reasons to come to this place still despite Stage 1 tune thread number 234234324324 or whats the cheapest and best (insert part here) i can get.

HAHAHA

Yea I'm all about trying something new. I was already K04 but was sorta looking for a little more without breaking the bank on Stage 3. Went to AU Tuning to get my brakes installed and they were talking about the FT that was supposed to be coming up. I did my research and the stuff I read about FT and Doug was great. So next day just said F it order me one. It's been awhile but life is a journey right?

Don't get me wrong the APR K04 and tuning is great and reliable. Put good miles on the street and track with that. I personally was just looking for a change and something different. It's another option. It's fun for me...well except when you boost past what the gauge can even handle. But all the other stuff yea.

It's still going to be a bit till things are worked out but the potential is there. I'm happy with the results so far. Right now it's all MacGyver'd together for numbers but we'll see when the edges are smoothed out!

Last edited:

zsm722

Ready to race!
lookin' good!