GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cbfa hose question

kbrett11

Ready to race!
So before anyone criticizes me and tells me I'm stupid let me just lead with the statement that I know the basics about vehicles and working on them (oil change, brakes, bulbs etc etc) and I'm learning as I go. So when I initially bought my gti I wanted to do all the work myself to learn the car inside and out and use the forums for my resources. Anyways, I bought the bsh race intake from the previous owner, who I now know is an idiot, and he didn't get the cbfa intake version. He installed it for me and showed me what everything was and where it goes yadayada. When it came to the breather hose, he said "don't worry about this you just leave it". It has no filter on it and is currently just tucked under the heat shield box of the intake filter. I've been looking into the unitronic filter recently and saw the same hose with a small filter on it and put two and two together and I'm afraid I may have damaged the vehicle internally. I'm ordering a filter for it asap but I just want to know how screwed I am.

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
Its fine for a short amount of time. The secondary air intake pump, which what this hose is fed from, really only runs on startup for a few seconds. Your car will be fine, just don't procrastinate

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Thanks for the fast reply! That's good to hear. Unfortunately it's been this way for a year (roughly 30k miles). I only just learned about this after watching a uni intake install video.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
You'll be fine. It only runs for a few seconds upon startup.

If you're really worried, zip-tie a sock over the opening.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
You'll be fine. It only runs for a few seconds upon startup.

If you're really worried, zip-tie a sock over the opening.

read that after doing some research on the hose. Just needed to have some peace of mind. Thanks everyone for the help!

sauceman101

Ready to race!

read that after doing some research on the hose. Just needed to have some peace of mind. Thanks everyone for the help!

Worst case scenario you could fry the SAI pump, but you'd know if you did and would have a code. Nothing to worry about in the engine internals

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
The secondary air pump just sucks through that hose to pump hot air into the exhaust to heat up the cat faster upon initial startup. You are fine. APR sells a seperate filter as well.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
dont even bother getting a filter. the sock will be fine

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
In for a post number addition. I agree with everyone above.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Thanks again guys for the responses. I finally found a use for my unmatched sock! Lmao