GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Height + Rims?

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
I like the ride height and comfort of my GTI (plus with DCC dampers, lowering springs aren't a good option), but I really don't like the Detroit rims. Are there any options for after market wheels that would look good without lowering the car?

I'm in NZ so the supply of decent rims is limited without massive import taxes.

Any ideas on ideal offset + width to not look gammy?

Cheers! Sorry if this has been asked before.

clownish

just clowning around
If aftermarket is expensive OEM wheels might be easier.

Audi flat five wheels are fat five spoke wheels that are 18x8.5 and OEM.

VW Savannahs are slightly aggressive at 19x9 but I think they look really nice when the car is lowered a little.

VW Goals come in 17 or 18s in 18x7.5 and are a nice simple five spoke wheel if you like that look.

Also... what Mk6 has DCC struts? Is that a ROW option or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
If aftermarket is expensive OEM wheels might be easier.

Audi flat five wheels are fat five spoke wheels that are 18x8.5 and OEM.

VW Savannahs are slightly aggressive at 19x9 but I think they look really nice when the car is lowered a little.

VW Goals come in 17 or 18s in 18x7.5 and are a nice simple five spoke wheel if you like that look.

Also... what Mk6 has DCC struts? Is that a ROW option or something?

Quite hard to find OEM wheels in good nick in NZ as well... I'd rather pay an extra $1000 and get something new and shiny :)

Yep I've got an ROW GTI. DCC struts are very nice, best feeling suspension I've had! Hope they last, I heard they're expensive to replace :laugh:

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
So VMR say they'd recommend running 225's with stock height suspension with the V710 8.5's, but local tyre shops think that running 225's on 8.5's isn't possible / illegal. What then?

clownish

just clowning around
225 stretches the sidewalls a bit to give you a little clearance without rubbing - very common around here. A normal tire shop might refuse to mount a tire because of the stretch. The "proper" fit tire for a 8.5 width wheel is 235 usually but you may run into rubbing fender liner issues in which case you might need to pull the top fender screw even at stock height.

VMR, Neuspeed, OZ, BBS, all have wheels I like personally. Depends on your personal taste really. 18x8.5 is a good size for sure. ET45-35 is about what I'd look at for sure. ET35 is pretty aggressive without modifications

webbry4

Ready to race!
So VMR say they'd recommend running 225's with stock height suspension with the V710 8.5's, but local tyre shops think that running 225's on 8.5's isn't possible / illegal. What then?

Vmrs 18x8.5 et 45 225 tires on stock height. The finish has chipped from daily driving I assume due to the amount of wheel showing
Also never had any tire shop say anything about the stretch.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
if im getting 8.5" wheels i would most def be getting wider tires for more grip.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I got some Motegi MR-133 and I think they look pretty good at stock height. I got 18x8.5et 45 and im running 255/35/18. Once I go lower i'll probably need to pull the fenders a bit but I love the look of meaty tires. Also both the wheels and the tires i'm running, Indy 500s, were relatively cheap.

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
That's interesting, so you guys are getting no rub with 255's on 8.5 et45s at stock height? Is that with the screw mod? Cheers for the help.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
That's interesting, so you guys are getting no rub with 255's on 8.5 et45s at stock height? Is that with the screw mod? Cheers for the help.
I've still got a good amount of wheel gap so not even close to rubbing. I'm gonna do the screw mod once I lower it, along with pulling the fenders

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Man, the GTI is a 4x4 at stock height! Lower that bad boy with some quality coilovers. :)
I'm planning on bc brs eventually. Just getting all the engine stuff done for stage 2 first.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk