GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got APR Stage 1 along with 60k Mile Service, now clutch is slipping

BlazingGlory53

Hey guys! First post in a while, but I'd love to get your input on my situation I'm going through!

So last Tuesday, I got my 60,000 mile service on my car, and I decided, "What the Hell, I'll get the APR Stage I tune as well!". My local place I go to in Northern California is an official APR Dealer, and the owners are certified VW Master Technicians, so I felt they would treat me well.

They did, and the car is a BLAST to drive! However, I am starting to notice some Clutch Slip, specifically at gears 3-6 above 2,000RPM at 50+% throttle. So, I'm looking into my options to upgrade the clutch.

The technician at my local shop said he has performed a decent amount of installations of the South Bend Stage 2 clutch, and he hasn't heard many complaints about that. However, I have been hearing that the Single Mass Flywheel options are a little more finicky and significantly noisier than the OEM clutch. I'm hoping it isn't to the point where it gets annoying, but with the GTI as my Daily Driver, I'd like to make sure it is alright under DD use. I'd like to try to get good mileage out of my clutch (at least, more than 60k miles ;) ), so I want to make sure my clutch investment will not go wasted.

Another suggestion I heard was the RSR Clutch from HS Tuning. It is slightly more affordable, and I've heard decent things from it. However, my concern would be using the Factory OEM Flywheel. Could it have some damage from about half a week of driving with the Stage I tune?

Also, my local shop quoted me for around $710 for labor for a clutch replacement. I just wanted to make sure that is a reasonable price?

Thanks in adavance! :D

ahard48

Ready to race!
That labor seems reasonable. South Bend Stage 2 Daily is a common clutch for tuned guys, as well as the RSR. You wont be disappointed in either clutch and I don't think either is going to "annoy" you in daily driving.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I'm very happy with the RSR clutch. Only complaint is the engagement point is much lower than previously.

Had it installed at 60k miles, kept original DMFW. No issues.

zrickety

The Fixer
Slipping your clutch a bit will only create some hot spots on the flywheel over time...I would not worry about that. You can pedal it and make the clutch last a long time. When you replace the clutch just scuff the surface of the flywheel and it will seat better. Before I went DSG I was looking at the Sachs SMF kit, I think it's more balanced than the other SMF kits out there.