GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low oil pressure warning

demon342

Ready to race!
On Friday on my way home from work I got this warning and immediately turned the engine off. Found out I was low on oil so ok whatever I add more oil. Then I checked my oil on Sunday after a small trip and everything was fine. But now today I sit in a parking lot writing this while the light goes off again, any suspected problems?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I'd say scan for codes, preferably with VCDS or OBDEleven. It's not uncommon though the TSI to get failed balance shafts causing the low oil pressure light. I hope it's not that. Other issues could be a failing sensor or clogged oil pickup.

demon342

Ready to race!
Yeah definitely follow up on if there's a leak or anything out of the ordinary. It's possible it could be a bad sensor?

No leaks, smells, or smoke

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I'd say scan for codes, preferably with VCDS or OBDEleven. It's not uncommon though the TSI to get failed balance shafts causing the low oil pressure light. I hope it's not that. Other issues could be a failing sensor or clogged oil pickup.
If the sensor shit the bed then the dips tick should still show full? @op have you checked the dipstick level?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

demon342

Ready to race!
If the sensor shit the bed then the dips tick should still show full? @op have you checked the dipstick level?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Dip stick shows full

demon342

Ready to race!
Update on this, it seems to be only when I get off the highway or slow down in traffic after being at a constant speed. I suspect senor seeming how when the light is on the engine seems to run perfectly fine. Changing sensor tomorrow, dropping oil pan Saturday to inspect the pickup

demon342

Ready to race!
I got 10 on it being the balance shafts. Let us know if you find any metal in the pan.

Did research on balance shafts and what makes you think balance shafts? Its scary to think my whole engine might need replacing even tho its driving completely fine. Haven't dropped the pan yet due to inclement weather, but hopefully I can do that this week, changing the sensor tomorrow since thats easier than dropping the pan and its a $15 (hopefully) fix.

Driftin

I have a 2011 GTI and yesterday got the same warning light after coming off the freeway. I pulled over and turned the car off. Nothing to see under the hood and the oil is full. The light was off when I turned the ignition switch back on and no light today even with freeway driving.

Did you solve your issue?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Did research on balance shafts and what makes you think balance shafts? Its scary to think my whole engine might need replacing even tho its driving completely fine. Haven't dropped the pan yet due to inclement weather, but hopefully I can do that this week, changing the sensor tomorrow since thats easier than dropping the pan and its a $15 (hopefully) fix.

Sounds all too familiar..I replaced a balance shaft after the tab that holds it in place sheard off. Aluminum in the pan and found bolt sitting on top of wind age tray. Cleaned it up, flushed it and no issues in 5k miles except my turbo has now shit the bed..ko4 on the way. I'm at 140k miles

Driftin

My car has 55,600 miles after 8 years - easy in town driving. The one of the posts above talked about the pickup tube being clogged. Is that even possible to plug it up in a GTI? I pulled the pan off my Subaru and the pickup screen was about 1.5" round. Hard to plug up. I can't imagine the pickup being the problem.

Any suggestions? Sorry to hear your balance shaft tab sheared off - I'm good at changing the oil and easy maintenance - this real mechanic stuff is hard work!!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
The oil pressure sensor is a switch and does not actively monitor oil pressure. It's designed to warn you if pressure falls below a specific value. These sensors can go bad and an easy way to check is to see if oil made it's way through the sensor and into the electrical connector. The sensor is located on the side of the oil filter housing, disconnect the harness and check the connector to see if there is oil. Remove the oil pressure sensor and check the electrical connector to see if there is oil. It's an inexpensive part which can be ordered off Amazon, I would swap it to rule it out, keep oil topped off, get under the car to see if there are leaks.

Byronupex32

Hi did you ever find out what was causing this as I’m facing the same issue myself? what I gather it’s either oil pump, balance shafts, sensor or god forbid a crack in the engine somewhere thats expanding under heat