GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - S3 Intercooler Installation

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
both the S3's are outdated now. The Golf R is the replacement part number for them. The original S3's are hard to find anywhere now, especially a metal tank one. If you do find one, its more expensive also.

I agree on the expensive part. That's why I went with the new golf R version. Was just confused because you said initially that the metal end one was better in your opinion but then said the new plastic end one is better.

In the vid you also mentioned that you did that swap multiple times. Did you ever notice if they part numbers of the stock GTI IC matches up with what ETKA says it should be?

Also have you ever removed the bumper of a vw with front parking sensors installed?

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to say thanks again to the OP. Did this install on a Jetta and your info/vid came in handy. Especially the idea of labelling bags holding different screws.

Cheers.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Just found out my condenser has a pinhole leak in it and the dealer wants $707 to replace. Its a $200 part so the majority is labor.

Reading through your DIY, it doesnt seem too bad to access the condenser.

Couple questions though:

1. Do the headlights need to come off to replace the condenser only?
  2. Does the radiator need to come off?
  3. Can I get a recharge after at the dealer?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Just found out my condenser has a pinhole leak in it and the dealer wants $707 to replace. Its a $200 part so the majority is labor.

Reading through your DIY, it doesnt seem too bad to access the condenser.

Couple questions though:

1. Do the headlights need to come off to replace the condenser only?
  2. Does the radiator need to come off?
  3. Can I get a recharge after at the dealer?

Since I have done that job almost 10 times, I think I remember that the condenser is the front most part. Therefore, it would be super easy to replace it after you take the bumper off and loosen the support. I don't think your headlights need to be touched, and neither does your radiator. Still a super NOT FUN job, and I hated it every time I had to do it.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Since I have done that job almost 10 times, I think I remember that the condenser is the front most part. Therefore, it would be super easy to replace it after you take the bumper off and loosen the support. I don't think your headlights need to be touched, and neither does your radiator. Still a super NOT FUN job, and I hated it every time I had to do it.

Yeah I just watched your video and it is in the front of the radiator, but I am not sure about the rest of the piping components. I just dont want to get that far to find out the radiator or something else has to be taken off.

I can handle taking the bumper off and have a mechanic friend who is willing to help. I just dont want to spend $700 on such a shitty thing that failed.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I just watched your video and it is in the front of the radiator, but I am not sure about the rest of the piping components. I just dont want to get that far to find out the radiator or something else has to be taken off.

I can handle taking the bumper off and have a mechanic friend who is willing to help. I just dont want to spend $700 on such a shitty thing that failed.

Its prob a lot more than just the bumper. thats only a 15 min job. I think you will have to remove the radiator support, just like a IC job. That part is the huge pain.

aricolton

Passed Driver's Ed
Just installed the golf R intercooler (plastic end tanks) into my 2011. The install took a little over 4 hours (with help from 2 friends). The car feels great now, I'm very happy I did this upgrade. This guide and the video were super helpful, thanks for taking the time to make them!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
THANK YOU

Thank you. VW DIYs is normally lacking in detail especilly for people new to VW but this DIY is the best.