GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs MK7, my simple auto show comparison

dwgolf

Ready to race!
I don't know why I'm so frustrated about this. If I were to get a MK7 in Germany, I'm sure I would love the cars structural integrity. I feel that European engineers have a higher standard for how they make cars. Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't have problems, but I believe they satisfy consumers instead of throwing some shit together hoping to make a profit.

So why do Americans get second best? I can almost guarantee you the specs of German vs American would be different by far. And this have nothing to do with Mexico. Maybe I'm waaay in left field right now because I smoked to much weed, but seriously.... Why do we get the hand-me-down GTI? The reason I'm calling it a hand-me-down is because it already came out years ago plus all i'm hearing is cheap, cheap, cheap.

And my wife is right, This golf looks like a baby turtle.

Last edited:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I don't know why I'm so frustrated about this. If I were to get a MK7 in Germany, I'm sure I would love the cars structural integrity. I feel that European engineers have a higher standard for how they make cars. Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't have problems, but I believe they satisfy consumers instead of throwing some shit together hoping to make a profit.

So why do Americans get second best? I can almost guarantee you the specs of German vs American would be different by far. And this have nothing to do with Mexico. Maybe I'm waaay in left field right now because I smoked to much weed, but seriously.... Why do we get the hand-me-down GTI? The reason I'm calling it a hand-me-down is because it already came out years ago plus all i'm hearing is cheap, cheap, cheap.

OMG. None of you have driven it. The effing sky is falling. Wah wah wah! You are getting the Mk7 GTi, and importantly the R with D-S FUCKING G. SHUT UP :)

Go drive it and then bitch. Auto Motor und Sport and Auto-Test here did a basic Golf Mk7 vs the A3 Audi and BOTH PICKED THE GOLF. So much for the lack of fucking quality LOL!

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

Wow I don't even know where to begin. First off all VWs are engineered in Germany. Do you really think that it's a differently engineered car and that VW is "throwing some shit together hoping to make a profit" by having it assembled in Mexico? No it will be exactly the same car built by exactly the same robotic assembly line, just in a different country.

As far as "Americans getting second best" We don't get second best, we just don't get as many options as the rest of the world because the GTI is much cheaper in the US than the rest of the world. It's still the same car

Lastly, your calling it a "hand-me-down" car. The new VW models are always released in Europe a year or so before we get them in the US. If you think a year or so is bad, the original MK1 GTI took 7 years before it was released here. You may want to lay off the weed, you're losing brain cells.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Wow I don't even know where to begin. First off all VWs are engineered in Germany. Do you really think that it's a differently engineered car and that VW is "throwing some shit together hoping to make a profit" by having it assembled in Mexico? No it will be exactly the same car built by exactly the same robotic assembly line, just in a different country.

As far as "Americans getting second best" We don't get second best, we just don't get as many options as the rest of the world because the GTI is much cheaper in the US than the rest of the world. It's still the same car

Lastly, your calling it a "hand-me-down" car. The new VW models are always released in Europe a year or so before we get them in the US. If you think a year or so is bad, the original MK1 GTI took 7 years before it was released here. You may want to lay off the weed, you're losing brain cells.

Stunning, isn't it?
This is why I keep finding myself in a position of defending the MK7 here.
There are some people that are predisposed to hate the car.
Some don't want to see their MK6 bested.
Some are ignorant or otherwise uninformed about the way cars are produced and assembled.
Some just miss that good old "Made in Germany" tag. (I would have been in this category myself when I was younger, but could care less now.)
Some are even prejudiced.
Some are all of the above.

Some people really believe that VW has tossed together some second rate plant to give us a Golf/GTI that only looks on the surface like its counterpart on the other side of the Atlantic.
Maybe they even gave the Mexicans a go at it, to see what kind of Golf they'd turn out...
Staggering.

BTW, pot smokers logic is the most frustrating thing to argue sense into.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The only reason the mk7 gets a lower engine output figure is because the US has a warmer, more southern climate than the European climate. Therefore the engine makes less power here on average.

butchered by autocorrecr

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Stunning, isn't it?
This is why I keep finding myself in a position of defending the MK7 here.
There are some people that are predisposed to hate the car.
Some don't want to see their MK6 bested.
Some are ignorant or otherwise uninformed about the way cars are produced and assembled.
Some just miss that good old "Made in Germany" tag. (I would have been in this category myself when I was younger, but could care less now.)
Some are even prejudiced.
Some are all of the above.

Some people really believe that VW has tossed together some second rate plant to give us a Golf/GTI that only looks on the surface like its counterpart on the other side of the Atlantic.
Maybe they even gave the Mexicans a go at it, to see what kind of Golf they'd turn out...
Staggering.

BTW, pot smokers logic is the most frustrating thing to argue sense into.

I think the underlying problem is the ugliness. I see the red MK7 in the picture below and its just so ugly.

I was pretty excited when the MK7 came out and I remember seeing the pictures (both internal and external) and thinking WTF.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
I think the underlying problem is the ugliness. I see the red MK7 in the picture below and its just so ugly.

I was pretty excited when the MK7 came out and I remember seeing the pictures (both internal and external) and thinking WTF.

IMO the MKVII is anything but ugly. Coming from both a MKV and MKVI I see the MKVII as a logical progression of the earlier cars. Yes I do look forward to being able to buy a MKVII in spring of 2015.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Not liking the styling is one thing.
(Though I personally don't see how you can like a MK6 say, and not like a MK5 & MK7, MK1...)
People can like whatever styling they like.
(Though even in this regard, I think that there are some who seek out something to nit pick about in order to say, "See?" "I don't like that!"

Those people who seem to be on a perpetual witch hunt to find something to point to on the car in order to prove some notion that the US is getting some cheaper Mexi-engineered version that is of lower build quality and constructed of lower quality materials than the MK6 or the MK7s built in Germany is a different matter.

dwgolf

Ready to race!
I didn't say anything about Mexico, I don't care if it's made in Mexico. I was simply asking a question of why Americans don't get what others get in other countries. Like the Honda for example... I've visited Tokyo a couple years ago, their JDM cars are a lot different than the cars in the US. Even their after market products were different. NOT saying that our Hondas is a pile of shit tossed together, (sorry for the confusing) but why? And then charge me overseas prices for a car assembled in the US.

which brings me to VW. I'm not going to speak on a topic I know nothing about yet. I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

And I'm not some guy who gets high and come online blurting out uneducated jargon, I just thought people would understand where I was coming from. So I will educated myself more before posting anything else on this topic

Last edited:

dwgolf

Ready to race!
oh yeah and there was an egineer that posted his comment on one of these Mk7 threads and said he worked for the wolfburg and Mexican plant and the ones that were assembled in Mexico were different. So yes... The cars not crap, but it's also not as European as it used to be.... but that wasnt my point.

Last edited:

CSteelGrrl

Ready to race!
Interesting discourse. Time to pipe in. For one thing, that red GTi a few posts back is an eye-catching ride that I would crane my neck for as it passed by. That's just personal taste. I love the contrast of the red and black.
I no longer am feeling the strong disappointment about the "made in Mexico" aspect of the new GTI. Thanks to this forum I'm satisfied that GTI's from anywhere can have their issues - and absolutely no-one has ever asked me where my car was made.
Now that the Canadian pricing has been released I see some strong value in a Mk 7. It's a nicer ride, quieter, has better fuel economy, more power. For the same money spent 18 mths ago! Better hi-fi, rear view camera, driver profile selection, larger sunroof etc.
What's not to like!
I know we don't get all the European options but I probably wouldn't be tempted to update if the car was any pricier. Upgrading my Mk6 gradually has been an enjoyable part of (affordable) North American VW ownership.
Can't wait to test drive the Mk 7 GTI. :)

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Interesting discourse. Time to pipe in. For one thing, that red GTi a few posts back is an eye-catching ride that I would crane my neck for as it passed by. That's just personal taste. I love the contrast of the red and black.
I no longer am feeling the strong disappointment about the "made in Mexico" aspect of the new GTI. Thanks to this forum I'm satisfied that GTI's from anywhere can have their issues - and absolutely no-one has ever asked me where my car was made.
Now that the Canadian pricing has been released I see some strong value in a Mk 7. It's a nicer ride, quieter, has better fuel economy, more power. For the same money spent 18 mths ago! Better hi-fi, rear view camera, driver profile selection, larger sunroof etc.
What's not to like!
I know we don't get all the European options but I probably wouldn't be tempted to update if the car was any pricier. Upgrading my Mk6 gradually has been an enjoyable part of (affordable) North American VW ownership.
Can't wait to test drive the Mk 7 GTI. :)

CSteel with your attitude about the 7 you will not be disappointed. Post up when you get a test!

Gti207

Ready to race!
Read the Vortex story on the MK7 forums about the US spec. cars.
Interior differences in quality of Euro vs US spec cars is non existent.

That's all fine and good but in my empirical observations of the car, the interior does feel cheaper. If you think there's not a difference between German made and Mexican made cars why not buy an audi made in Mexico, or a bmw for that matter? It's because there is a noticeable difference. The clearest example is the new jetta. It's interior has gotten cheaper after it's change in production location. Additionally, you keep saying to people the only reason they don't like the mk7 is bc they already decided not to like it. That is wrong. I don't like the mk7 bc of what I stated above, no preconceptions. Although one could argue that your predisposed into liking the car. Just my opinions.

formul8

My GLI farts
That's all fine and good but in my empirical observations of the car, the interior does feel cheaper. If you think there's not a difference between German made and Mexican made cars why not buy an audi made in Mexico, or a bmw for that matter? It's because there is a noticeable difference. The clearest example is the new jetta. It's interior has gotten cheaper after it's change in production location. Additionally, you keep saying to people the only reason they don't like the mk7 is bc they already decided not to like it. That is wrong. I don't like the mk7 bc of what I stated above, no preconceptions. Although one could argue that your predisposed into liking the car. Just my opinions.

The individual parts are mostly likely manufactured in the same place. The cars are just assembled in Mexico or Wolfsburg. The previous generation Jetta was built in Mexico. The reason for the de-contenting of the Jetta is to reduce the entry level price point of the car in order to sell more of them. They have been slowly adding content back into the cars at higher trim levels, like padded dashboards and independent rear suspensions in all trim levels.

A VW rep at the Chicago autoshow mentioned the Golf R and E-Golf will still be made in Germany, but all other North American Golf/GTI's will be made in Mexico. They have to in order to prevent the GTI from becoming too expensive and reaching too far into Audi's A3 price territory.

These moves are because VW is hellbent to become the largest automaker in the world.

I think it's amusing that people here are so bent out of shape about a new model that most non-car people wouldn't be able to tell the difference if the MK6 and MK7 were parked next to each other.

formul8

My GLI farts
Additionally, you keep saying to people the only reason they don't like the mk7 is bc they already decided not to like it. That is wrong. I don't like the mk7 bc of what I stated above, no preconceptions. Although one could argue that your predisposed into liking the car. Just my opinions.

You should read what Corvette people think about the new generations when they come out. There are quite a few that will never buy a new one because they firmly believe that C7 should still have pop-up headlights.