GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 vs MK7, my simple auto show comparison

formul8

My GLI farts
Is this illustration specific to the VW or??

I ask because the OEM front spoiler does not stick out far enough to cause any real "Aero" affects. I think its just more for aesthetics.

for a front spliter or spoiler to produce down force or increase air volume into the radiator it would need to protrude out more than the 3/4" to 1" that the OEM piece sticks out.

At least in Theory.

Sounds good though.

Jeff

That drawing is more like this car:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Back on the mexico thing? (sigh) okay while we're at it...

1. VW releases new cheaper universal mqb platform
2. VW releases the car in europe for an entire year before us
3. VW lowers labor costs immensely by moving to mexico
4. VW lowers shipping/delivery cost of vehicles immensely
5. VW removes all the standard options we want like led tails, front lip spoilers, storage compartments etc from europe spec..
6. VW increases or holds steady price in usa market on gti
7. VW offers the new jetta however by $2,000 less than previous generation...made in mexico

someone somewhere up high in vw is laughing their ass off probably reading these forums...
"haha suckers..lets make it with cheaper labor, cheaper shipping, less standard features, cheaper universal mqb platform all at the same price. "

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

5. VW removes all the standard options we want like led tails, front lip spoilers, storage compartments etc from europe spec..
7. VW offers the new jetta however by $2,000 less than previous generation...made in mexico

someone somewhere up high in vw is laughing their ass off probably reading these forums...
"haha suckers..lets make it with cheaper labor, cheaper shipping, less standard features, cheaper universal mqb platform all at the same price. "

Can't say I disagree with you on this.
VW is a business, and just like any other business - they are looking to maximize profits.
They aren't going to give us anything more at all with this car - despite any savings from the Mexican production - then they ever give us here in the U.S.
We will not get the content offered in Europe.
The MK7 will be offered to us in versions that virtually mirror what they gave us with the MK6.
And that does suck.

But that is a different argument than one that states we will be getting a car assembled of lesser quality interior materials vs. the versions across the Atlantic.
Or that build quality will suffer negatively from the unexceptional build of the Wolfsburg assembled vehicles.

I will grant that the early run of Golfs & GTIs off of the Puebla line may not be the most desirable.
I'd imagine that there is some tweaking on the line, and some learning curve of getting a new vehicle done right - at least as far as the human assembled leg of assembly are concerned.
But that's no different than what goes on in Wolfsburg.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

You're entitled to a cheaper car why ? :laugh: VW will price it where they want, the market will pay what it wants.

Itgb

Passed Driver's Ed
What 3s are made in South Africa? Mine sure as hell isn't.

They have exported 3-series sedans from SA to the US since the E46(currently, the F30 328i and 335i). The general consensus is that they have fewer issues than ones produced in Germany.

So at this point who can say that the Mexican built MK7 will be lower quality than the German ones? No one.

dwgolf

Ready to race!
I'm not going to touch on this topic anymore, But I will say, I would drive this any day of the week.

CSteelGrrl

Ready to race!
Looks fabulous! Still reading this thread but thoughts beginning to wander. Like my abnormal addiction to my Serrons - could I transfer them to a Mk 7? How about the DSG shifter - can I bring my golf ball? I'm so over the country of manufacter topic, or if VW profits will increase. Good on them I say - they make desirable vehicles. Wonder what the Fender audio will be like? I've flirted with thoughts of the R or Macan, but the GTI is so good, and so tempting and get ready to love it!

speedster

Go Kart Champion
You're entitled to a cheaper car why ? :laugh: VW will price it where they want, the market will pay what it wants.

Because of something called competition. If VW wants to offer less for more money there are plenty other options out there.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Inflation - everything is more expensive than 5 years ago
Economy - fewer cars sold means less profit
Profit Margins - gotta pay for those new factories somehow

Inflations is like 1% for the past several years so that doesn't count. For the most part things are cheaper, we are just coming out of a recession after all.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I'm not going to touch on this topic anymore, But I will say, I would drive this any day of the week.

That looks freaking awesome.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
That looks freaking awesome.

Yes it looks great. The more the market shows Mk7 looking good/tuned the faster the Mk6 is forgotten. Nothing new there as we all like the new stuff. They are good at getting it to slowly grow on you :)

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Looks fabulous! Still reading this thread but thoughts beginning to wander. Like my abnormal addiction to my Serrons - could I transfer them to a Mk 7? How about the DSG shifter - can I bring my golf ball? I'm so over the country of manufacturer topic, or if VW profits will increase. Good on them I say - they make desirable vehicles. Wonder what the Fender audio will be like? I've flirted with thoughts of the R or Macan, but the GTI is so good, and so tempting and get ready to love it!

I can only compare the Fender sound system, w/sub woofer, (part of the system) that i have in our turbo beetle. It is superior to the standard sound system that i have in my GTI. Added base, response, dimension. It is most likely the same basic components as in the beetle. But technology in electronics continually improves. There maybe some adjustment to parameters based on the size, shape, acoustics of the GTI/R cabin.

There are probably better aftermarket systems then the Fender, but i am very satisfied with that system in the turbo beetle. :)

gti330ex1

Ready to race!

What a fucking disgrace! Stock blue R looks a lot better, and way more sophisticated.

dynamiik

Ready to race!

Thank the lawd!!!! Those stupid gloss black thingys on the side of the hatch from the roof spoiler can be removed! This just made my day lol

for reference this pic shows the piece