GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL for Misfires; Running Normal

saxman42

Hey Everyone,

I had a CEL last week for misfires on two cylinders, but I never felt even so much as a slightly rough start and everything runs normal. I reset the CEL and it was fine for a few days. It randomly came back yesterday. I have APR Stage 1, 71k miles, plugs replaced at 60k miles, R8 coils installed at 68k miles. Any ideas of what to check for?

Thanks in advance!

11gti718

Ready to race!
Ever had any carbon cleaning done ? Also, switch up the coils and see if the misfire follows. If it doesn't try the spark plugs next. If misfire follows then you found the culprit.

saxman42

I haven't done any carbon cleaning. I was afraid that might be the issue, but wanted to exhaust cheaper options first. I'll try swapping the coils and spark plugs when I get a chance. That sounds like an easy diagnosis. Thanks for the recommendation.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I haven't done any carbon cleaning. I was afraid that might be the issue, but wanted to exhaust cheaper options first. I'll try swapping the coils and spark plugs when I get a chance. That sounds like an easy diagnosis. Thanks for the recommendation.

Carbon cleaning isn't that expensive if you DIY and have access to hand tools.

FriggenT1

Banned
The plugs should be ok, 11k on some tunes and plugs can have an issue...pcv can cause multiple misfire codes, coils as mentioned above can most certainly cause the issue as well, so there are a few other avenues to try first, but getting the carbon cleaning is inevitable at some point.