GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Timing Chain? Don't want to start car (video)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
What kind of Cat do you have if any?

Stock - just noticed I am below the a minimum coolant level and my passenger-side radiator fan is not spinning.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
So after many start ups it starts initially or, if it has gone away, once revs hit around 3K and then rattling noise doesn't stop at all despite the RPMs.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
The rattling at idle sounds like DMF. Usually failing chain tensioner sounds more like a rattle at cold starts. Mine has been making a rattle at warm starts and I even have the updated timing chain tensioner on my 2.0 TSI. heres what mine sounds like at startup, but it makes no sound at idle like yours but the startup sound is kind of similar. I believe its either a loose timing chain or sound of the DMF.

https://vid.me/a75X

It doesnt do that every time though, usually only after I have been driving and let the car sit for an hour. Cold starts sound smooth no rattles.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
The rattling at idle sounds like DMF. Usually failing chain tensioner sounds more like a rattle at cold starts. Mine has been making a rattle at warm starts and I even have the updated timing chain tensioner on my 2.0 TSI. heres what mine sounds like at startup, but it makes no sound at idle like yours but the startup sound is kind of similar. I believe its either a loose timing chain or sound of the DMF.

https://vid.me/a75X

It doesnt do that every time though, usually only after I have been driving and let the car sit for an hour. Cold starts sound smooth no rattles.

Took a leap and drove 35 (cautious) miles home.
It's definitely the DMF. Transmission is shifting very harshly for the first time in 89,XXX miles (76K+ under my ownership). The transmission has been going downhill since Nov 2015. In fact I just got three( K1, K2 & pressure control) DSG solenoids in the mail hoping that is the issue & also have a near-new clutch pack to replace my original one. Maybe, due to my procrastination, the problem has progressed to the DMF.
What also is also concerning me is
- coolant reserve tank went from almost full to below "Min." within approx 3 months.
- car failed to start three times today, third time battery was dead & battery has depleted itself twice in a week but the battery tested as all okay (bought in 2013, has 2 yrs of warranty left so nbd if it was failing)

Ugh. Seems like 200 of Benjamin Franklin's cousins may be leaving home soon.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Took a leap and drove 35 (cautious) miles home.
It's definitely the DMF. Transmission is shifting very harshly for the first time in 89,XXX miles (76K+ under my ownership). The transmission has been going downhill since Nov 2015. In fact I just got three( K1, K2 & pressure control) DSG solenoids in the mail hoping that is the issue & also have a near-new clutch pack to replace my original one. Maybe, due to my procrastination, the problem has progressed to the DMF.
What also is also concerning me is
- coolant reserve tank went from almost full to below "Min." within approx 3 months.
- car failed to start three times today, third time battery was dead & battery has depleted itself twice in a week but the battery tested as all okay (bought in 2013, has 2 yrs of warranty left so nbd if it was failing)

Ugh. Seems like 200 of Benjamin Franklin's cousins may be leaving home soon.

Thank god for the 100k DSG warranty. I got 90k on mine now, hope it shits the bed soon so I can get a new one. Mine doesn't shift weird or anything though yet though. *edit wait do you mk6 guys have the 100k DSG warranty? I know the mk5 TSI cars do

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Im tempted to take mine in to VW just to get a diagnosis on it and show them the video. The sound is so hard to replicate though

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Thank god for the 100k DSG warranty. I got 90k on mine now, hope it shits the bed soon so I can get a new one. Mine doesn't shift weird or anything though yet though. *edit wait do you mk6 guys have the 100k DSG warranty? I know the mk5 TSI cars do

About a year ago my DSG started acting up. Had conflicting info as my independent mechanic, who is almost too honest, insisted there is a 100K warranty on my DSG yet info found online was saying otherwise.
Emailed the dealership and the techs divisor wasn't sure and said he'd look into it. Few weeks later the service dept manager emailed me saying "we looked into it and you do have the 100K DSG service! See enclosed document."
It was the day before Thanksgiving while on vacation and I got all excited. The I opened the attached .pdf and it stated my car has a 100K mile extended warranty...on the injectors. Emailed the tech back and he responded "sorry must have misread."
Come to find out, that only applied to certain models produced from, what I recall, late 07-late 09.
My specific car was purchased May 2010 (it has better standard features compared to the 2011 MY such as larger standard headunit & rear brakes...in 2011 VW switched to the option packages).
What is absurd is how the company can admit a certain product requires a certain warranty then deny it on certain vehicles. Essentially they screwed over all the early Mk5 & Mk6 (06 & 10) owners, people who helped VW's brand in each era most!

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Well it was the dual mass flywheel.
Anyone wanting to know what that sounds like failing now has some videos.
Hopefully it didn't take out the input shaft of the transmission by driving it.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Well it was the dual mass flywheel.
Anyone wanting to know what that sounds like failing now has some videos.
Hopefully it didn't take out the input shaft of the transmission by driving it.

Jeez, I guess that's better than tensioner going but still, what did that cost ya?

2011 MK6 2 Door DSG UG | ECS Stage 2 Intake | COBB Stage 2 | COBB TB w/Highflow Cat/42DD O2 Spacer | Full DeAuto LED Kit | HID/Fog Kit | GFB DV+ | R8 RedTops | Welcome Door Light VW Logo Projectors | VagCom Mods | Hatch Pop Kit | CTS PCV Catch Can | Neuspeed Charge Pipe | CTS Discharge Pipe | Eonon GA5153F Headunit | Full Kicker Audio | Alzor 081 18's | Pirelli PZeros

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Jeez, I guess that's better than tensioner going but still, what did that cost ya?

2011 MK6 2 Door DSG UG | ECS Stage 2 Intake | COBB Stage 2 | COBB TB w/Highflow Cat/42DD O2 Spacer | Full DeAuto LED Kit | HID/Fog Kit | GFB DV+ | R8 RedTops | Welcome Door Light VW Logo Projectors | VagCom Mods | Hatch Pop Kit | CTS PCV Catch Can | Neuspeed Charge Pipe | CTS Discharge Pipe | Eonon GA5153F Headunit | Full Kicker Audio | Alzor 081 18's | Pirelli PZeros

Waiting to find out.
This isn't unexpected, but what was causing the problems nobody could pinpoint. Figured it was the clutch pack or solenoids. Maybe it was just solenoids at one point that led to catastrophic DMF failure.
I've got a near-new clutch pack and replacement pressure & K1/K2 solenoids for the DSG he can throw in there at the same time.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Flywheel failed and took out the input shaft on clutch pack. Needing new clutch pack and DMF. Replacing the solenoids to be safe while we are at it.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Had a loose ring (?) which led to flywheel failure.
Installed a new clutch pack and DMF. Running great now!

Last edited:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Well now there is a squeak that came back in the engine bay. DSG making a new sound.
Anyone have any luck getting VW to reimburse partially for after warranty repairs?
My car was manufactured like a month after the cutoff for the 100K DSG warranty