GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Light

fbgmoney

Ready to race!
I had the flashing coolant light show up on my GTI with 80k miles this morning. Checked under the car when I got to work quickly for any drips(didn't see anything) and checked the reservoir while the car was still running and found that the coolant was below the MIN level. I turned the car off and the coolant in the reservoir shoots up to above the MAX level.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening and what I can do to investigate?

rsa66

I had the flashing coolant light show up on my GTI with 80k miles this morning. Checked under the car when I got to work quickly for any drips(didn't see anything) and checked the reservoir while the car was still running and found that the coolant was below the MIN level. I turned the car off and the coolant in the reservoir shoots up to above the MAX level.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening and what I can do to investigate?

Usually it happens when there’s air in the radiator, simply drain it completely and top up the system again by following the video on YouTube. Hopefully this will resolve the problem. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
That coolant went somewhere. You now have an air bubble in the system. Have the system pressure tested to determine where the coolant is going & fix it. Adding more coolant is a short term remedy at best. You will visit this problem again until you find the cause.

Don't drive with the flashing coolant light. If your car overheats it could get very costly.

Hope it's an easy fix.