GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with “wawa” tire(?) noise?

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
Last spring I hit a hidden pothole pretty hard. It knocked the steering wheel out of alignment, so I took care of that. However, ever since I’ve had “wawa” noise coming from the front right wheel at low speed and high speed. I don’t really feel anything through the steering wheel. It’s stable, just noisy. I’ve had another curb issue another time (cut too tight in a parking lot). I can’t remember if it’s the same wheel as I’ve had my winter wheels and tires on in the interim. Unfortunately, my winters are loud enough on their own that I can’t really tell if it’s the car, the wheels, or the tires. Regardless, the summers have been rotated. I thought maybe wheel bearing, but when on a jack the wheel doesn’t shimmy at all. Maybe slightly bent wheel(s), or maybe a “cupped” tire(s). I could look to buy new wheels (and tires?), but I’m not confident that will fix the problem. Thoughts? Thanks!

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I had the same issue. Same noise, however the wheel bearing showed no play. I changed them all for peace of mind and that was the problem. Glad you got it figured out.

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same issue. Same noise, however the wheel bearing showed no play. I changed them all for peace of mind and that was the problem. Glad you got it figured out.

I think the wheels are still slightly bent (thanks Michigan roads!) and the tires are getting old and tired too.

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
New Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's coming from Tire Rack tomorrow, and installed on Friday. I'm sure this will help too! Plus, it was almost time for new tires anyways.

KzooGerti

Passed Driver's Ed
The new tires combined with the replaced front wheel bearings solved all the problems! I also really like the Cooper's so far too, though, I haven't been able to truly test them much.