GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock GTI gets smoked by tuned MS3

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Just a story about how I finally met someone relatively local who appreciates something other than a muscle car for reasons other than feeling cool. :thumbup:

Starting my commute home yesterday I see an MS3 pulling out of the same road. Purple painted rims gave him away as a tuner. He saw me, so he goes ~20 (in a 55) until I pull out and catch up. We had maybe 1.5 miles to do a 40 roll, during which he pulled 3 cars by 110 mph or so. On the highway we did a couple more runs (traffic permitting) and it was the same story. On every one of my runs I made one shift was either late or sloppy but it wouldn't have made a difference. He was fast.

I pulled him off to the side and we talked for a while. He has an intake, dp and tune. FMIC to be installed. Cliff notes: Car guys are tough to find in SW MI, we work right across the street from each other, he's K04 (stock MS3 turbo) and I'm not :iono:. Looks like I'm going balls deep. :eek:

CFG9000

Ready to race!

IHazTurbo

Ready to race!
What part of SW MI are you in? Around Grand Rapids there is a decent amount of people. Not to the extent that you'd find in cities like Chicago or all over in Cali though. I see mostly people in Subies though.

Dybz

Banned
lol... racing a tuned ms3 with a stocker.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
What part of SW MI are you in? Around Grand Rapids there is a decent amount of people. Not to the extent that you'd find in cities like Chicago or all over in Cali though. I see mostly people in Subies though.

I'm in the Benton Harbor/St. Joe area. GR is about as much a drive as Chicago.

lol... racing a tuned ms3 with a stocker.

Yep, racing. Any excuse :D

And it was lol inducing. The kind of lols that come out with a half-committed smile and trail off awkwardly towards the end

freeclimbmtb

Ready to race!
Yep...had just about the same thing happen to me 2 nights ago. I tore off the line and the headlights behind me just kept getting bigger. Wasnt until a few miles later that I got a side view and figured out what it was. Once we were on the high way he played a few times letting me catch up and then pulling away. I figure hes got similar work done as your guy. Like you said. FAST.

Basically im just like "aw."

APR stage 2 with carbonio and DP next spring with my tax return. Id like a second shot...just to see.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yep...had just about the same thing happen to me 2 nights ago. I tore off the line and the headlights behind me just kept getting bigger. Wasnt until a few miles later that I got a side view and figured out what it was. Once we were on the high way he played a few times letting me catch up and then pulling away. I figure hes got similar work done as your guy. Like you said. FAST.

Basically im just like "aw."

APR stage 2 with carbonio and DP next spring with my tax return. Id like a second shot...just to see.

Said he's putting down about 280 with his tune, but it's based on acceleration calcs. GTI has 200 lbs on the MS3 so it may be close @ full stage 2 (FMIC, dp, intake and tune). At least I have a benchmark now :thumbsup:

freeclimbmtb

Ready to race!
Said he's putting down about 280 with his tune, but it's based on acceleration calcs. GTI has 200 lbs on the MS3 so it may be close @ full stage 2 (FMIC, dp, intake and tune). At least I have a benchmark now :thumbsup:

If I didnt have the Duc sucking me dry all the time I'd spring for the stage3+ or a GT30...

Unfortuantely putting lots and lots of american dollars in parts on that bike makes me feel a touch irresponsible doing it on the car too...

and my mother wonders why I'm still single..."well mom, because Letty is a character in the fast and the furious and girls in real life dont like when you spend all your money in the garage"

Thats right, I forgot about the FMIC.. So 270ish HP, 313ftlbs...I just hope the guy in the MS3 has 200lbs on me...

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
If I didnt have the Duc sucking me dry all the time I'd spring for the stage3+ or a GT30...

Unfortuantely putting lots and lots of american dollars in parts on that bike makes me feel a touch irresponsible doing it on the car too...

and my mother wonders why I'm still single..."well mom, because Letty is a character in the fast and the furious and girls in real life dont like when you spend all your money in the garage"

Just... Stay single. :p

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect

freeclimbmtb

Ready to race!

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

My daily driver when I was in California a few years back was a 999S (did not even own a car for 3 years)...they do suck you dry. Between wearing out a rear tire every 5,000 miles and a front every 8,000 plus maintenance and mods it was a horrible decision for a commuter....and I would do the same thing again if I could go back to cali!!!!! love that bike:thumbup:

39,000 miles in 3 years and always a huge smile on my face during my commute, rain or shine.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Back to the Vs post, surprised he only pulled 3 cars on a stock GTI... does not say much about the speed 3 driver. Most of the bolt on speed 3's at my track are mid 12 second cars, maybe he needs a bigger hood scoop or brighter wheels? Could be giving up a few HP for lack of stickers?